crankshaft pulley bolt procedure

geekdude

so I got me a new crankshaft pulley and bolt for my 93 civic hatch with JDM D15 and I am putting it back together. The the internet say to put loctite on it and torque it down to about 180 lb/ft. The instructions that came with the bolt from honda say to oil the bolt and then torque it to 145 lb/ft and then back it off and put 20 lb/ft on it and then turn it about 60 degrees. Put the belts back on and start the engine and then let it run for 3 minutes. then to turn the bolt another 30 degrees. Is this process necessarily or beneficial? im moving to colorado soon so im going to be putting a lot of miles on the car and I don't want to be stranded in kansas somewhere. what ive done so far is wacked the pulley on with the handle of a sledgehammer and put loctite on the bolt and tightened it to about 100 lb/ft before my extension broke.

RonJ

Banned
Don't use Loctite. That's just going to make it more difficult to remove the belt the next time it needs to be removed/replaced. The bolt is already difficult to remove without Loctite.

Install the timing belt and crank pulley and partially tighten the crank bolt (oiled as indicated in service manual). Next tension the belt (as described in the service manual). Finally, torque the crank bolt to 134 lb-ft. Done.

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i use an impact, and have never had issues lol, as long as you punch it down it should be too much a of a problem. ive never really cared about torque settings, unless its inside the motor, its got me this far.