Crankshaft pulley/crankshaft/key MAJOR PROBLEM

brian.evans

The car is a 93 LX D15B7 with 131,000 miles. It runs like a top, recently getting 33.5 mpg running mostly 80 mph interstate. I say that to say this; I'd like to save this car if at all possible.

Yesterday my power steering belt randomly slipped of the pulley. I put it back on and retensioned the belt, thinking maybe it was just a random thing. Today when I pulled out of work it slipped the belt again. I said screw it and started driving home. About ten miles later my battery light came on. Great! Now my alternator quit! I limped it home and pulled the alternator. It tested fine, so I got to thinking and looking deeper. It was so obvious, but I never even thought about it. My crankshaft pulley was wobbling like crazy.

I used the impact and pulled it. What I found has made me sick. It looks like the bolt backed off, the key sheared, and the key ways are screwed.

Am I looking at a crankshaft replacement as the only fix? I really love this car, but a crank replacement is a bit too much work. It has a fresh head job and all the routine maintenance at 100k. It could go for 200,000 more miles.

What are my options?

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sorry to hear. I'm still trying to figure out how the keyway got jacked up, since the crank and pulley are a HELL of a lot harder than that key. If the keyway on the crank is that bad, I can't think of any way to repair without removing the crank (and by that point, likely better to just replace crank rather than try to fix the old one)

brian.evans

Ahhh....apparently the pictures didn't post in the original post. Let's try this again.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ouch. That crankshaft definitely looks fubar. Unfortunately, from what I have seen, you are going to have to pull it and replace it. At the least, there is no fixing that crankshaft in the car.

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wow. I wouldn't have thought that even possible, but clearly it is. Almost like the crank pulley was held stationary and the someone tried to turn over the engine.