Crappy mpg - 01 civic?

LTDirty

A long time ago I had a completely stock 2001 civic ex 5 speed over 200k miles on it. It was amazing on gas. I could easily get over 500 miles per tank.

I just recently bought another 01 civic ex, however it is not stock. Here is the specs:
203k on the body and around 90k on the replaced stock motor. Same D17 y8 i believe.
5 speed.
light weight pulley
Exedy stage 1 clutch
short shifter
tein coilovers
No name Full exhaust(headers back)
04 bumper and tailights.
Fresh full synthetic oil.

I can get maybe 400 miles all highway. No engine light. Just an abs light and a srs light for the rear seatbelt buckle which i plan on taking to the dealer soon. Any ideas?

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
exhaust will hurt mpg on 4 bangers cause they need backpressure, could be using cheap gas, could need the injectors cleaned, could be a tone of things, id start with a simple tune up, change the plugs, wires, oil change, clean the injectors, etc. see if that helps...

LTDirty

exhaust will hurt mpg on 4 bangers cause they need backpressure, could be using cheap gas, could need the injectors cleaned, could be a tone of things, id start with a simple tune up, change the plugs, wires, oil change, clean the injectors, etc. see if that helps...
I'd rather have a stock exhaust anyways haha. Ill do a tune up and find a stock exhaust!
Oh and it also has a really nice Cold Air Intake.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
put a stock airbox back on it.also if the motor was replaced they mite swapped oxygen sensor for aftermarket or high mileage ones dirty oxygen sensors will give you bad mpg.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My d-series got worse gas mileage when I put the cold air intake on it. Not all that much, but it was around 5 mpg which can add up a lot.

LTDirty

My d-series got worse gas mileage when I put the cold air intake on it. Not all that much, but it was around 5 mpg which can add up a lot.
Really? Ill have to get a stock intake and test this out! Thanks for replying!

emerican

Registered VIP
before i replaced the intake if you like it i would try the oil change, full tune up, change all the filters, clean the injectors and fuel system

LTDirty

before i replaced the intake if you like it i would try the oil change, full tune up, change all the filters, clean the injectors and fuel system
Thats exactly what I was going to do! But my engine is f**ked so I have to buy a new one haha.

hondavtec01

5+ Year Member
I have a stock intake for a 2001 Civic EX that I will sell for $25.00 plus shipping if your interested.It came off my 2001 when it only had 15,000 miles on it so it is like new. email me at crussell22@yahoo.com if interested.Thanks

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
In addition to everyone else's accurate comments, skim through the "Better MPG" link on my signature. So what miles per gallon and/or tankful are you getting?

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
looking at your list for number #2 i was under the impression that hot air gives you better mpg and cold air gives you worse ???

deininger21

i have a 2001 honda civic ex and i used SeaFoam and it increased my mpg and also clean up my engine but it only last a couple months. it also helps burn away bad emissions.