creaking/popping from front end

ImThaBean

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A while back I installed new stock LCA/UCA and tie rods with fresh ball joints and bushings. In the last few weeks i've been hearing creaking and popping coming from the front end. It initially started when I'd pull out of my drive way (pretty steep incline). Now it's happening when I turn and on occasion when driving straight.

It sounds like something is binding, but everything was OE spec and I can't see any wear or rubbing on the wheel well around the suspension bits.

Anyone have this issue or know what is popping/creaking/binding? It bugs me to hear it, but my girl is afraid to ride in my car cause she thinks its gonna fall apart.

Car is a '94 Civic DX. stock everything ex. lowering springs

purpej1

honda fiend
Registered VIP
cv joint only thing i can think of since lca and such is new

ImThaBean

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The CV joint is popping but that is a sound I am familiar with, I have replaced a few.

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Worst case scenario would be take it to a shop, get a second opinion. If you installed everything yourself then maybe spend a day tearing it apart, inspecting each piece an putting it back together. Make sure everything is to spec an hopefully you find your problem before it gets worse.

stateofjustin

Strut/shock tower bushings up top, UCA bushings... jack up the car and see if you can move the wheel grabbing the top of the tire and the bottom and rock top to bottom. should be no play. With the steering column lock engaged, a horizontal rock back and forth should produce much the same, maybe a little movement. Check the UCA bushings and upper ball joint condition and then drop the shock bodies out, compress the spring, and check the bushing up top. Also, check your roll bar bushings at the LCA bolt point if you have a front roll bar, ditto for the roll bar support/carrier bushings. Let us know what you find.

purpej1

honda fiend
Registered VIP
im having the same problem now but coming from the driver side wheel. its like a creaking clunking noise.did it before but now it does it all the time

ImThaBean

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its not a brake pad issue. It isolated to my bushings. it only creaks when I go in/out of my driveway and around uneven corners. That is what got me to to say bushing, that and I just replaces my control arms. Someone else on another board said its the bushing binding. I didn't grease them enough and didn't tighten them under load. Once I get a chance to do so (I'm moving in the next few weeks) Ima test out that theory and see what happens.