Curious about cost of changing Civic color to another Civic color

Mobius1424

I'm looking to buy a used 2014 Civic EX-L and would much rather get the mechanically sound car rather than the cool looking one. I do however really like that Dyno Blue of the civics today, but it is rather rare for me to find my desired Civic in that color. I'm wondering what it would cost to actually change the exterior color of a Civic? I'm not looking for some third party color or anything but rather that Honda Dyno Blue. I'm not sure if that lowers or raises the cost.

Does anyone know an estimate, and would I go to a Honda specified place to get it done or rather some local body shop?

Bhikku

Mud, Blood, Beer
Registered VIP
It would be really expensive, especially if you want it done like a factory job. unless you want some mangled two tone with a different colored bay, and some of the harder parts that gets missed.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You'd be a few thousand bucks in to get it done right (to make it look like it came from the factory). Paint is NOT cheap.

Your best bet for an estimate is to go to different places (TRUSTED local shops and of course the stealership) and ask them. Chances are they'd want to look the car over before even providing you with an estimate.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You'd be a few thousand bucks in to get it done right (to make it look like it came from the factory). Paint is NOT cheap.

Your best bet for an estimate is to go to different places (TRUSTED local shops and of course the stealership) and ask them. Chances are they'd want to look the car over before even providing you with an estimate.
This....with a minor addendum. I wouldn't bother with the dealership. Most of them don't do their own body work and sublet out.

BTW, for a complete color change it is common for it to be well over $6000 to be done right. Keep that in mind. Would be better off actually spending the time to be patient and finding one in the color you like.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I stand corrected on the stealership part then :cool:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I stand corrected on the stealership part then :cool:
It could be said that the dealership should have a good recommendation to go to though. I can pretty much guarantee that if they don't do their own body work, they definitely have a local body shop on speed dial. We always have work for them, from lot accidents, to loaner accidents, to customers that want a brand specialized body shop.

AllStockHatch

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I paid about $9xx.xx for paint and supplies and had a friend and his dad do my color change. His dad has been doing paint and body for 25+ years. Besides the cost of paint and supplies, they charged me $1,500 to do it. They did the jambs and pulled the motor to do the engine bay. That was a badass homeboy hook up. If you know someone that could do it for you for those prices, go that route. But as stated earlier, just wait to find one in that color already that came your desired color from the factory. Lowest bid from a body shop to do what i asked was $5k. Good luck.