Curious about doing y8 head on my d16y7

98civlyfe

Hello I just purchased my 98 lx with d16y7 and was doing research and was curious as to if the y8 head is a suitable fit for this motor being non vtec. Possibly to go along with the head swap doing a turbo build with exhaust and intake. Not sure as to what intake would be suitable or preferred but it's be a step by step process to get it boosted. Oil gauge with oil filter plate to tap in for turbo as well. Just looking for ideas specs advice whatever ya got! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Not sure as to what intake would be suitable or preferred but it's be a step by step process to get it boosted.
This is incorrect. When you end up going turbo you won't use an intake, you'll have chargepiping from the throttle body to the intercooler and from there to the turbo.

A D16y8 head swap onto a D16Y7 is known as a mini-me swap. You're essentially bolting on 30hp and gaining vtec as well.

98civlyfe

So after swapping the head is there any point in swapping for the y8 intake?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So after swapping the head is there any point in swapping for the y8 intake?

Depends. The D16Y8 intake manifold is better than the D16Y7 one. If you plan on swapping that with the head you'll need to replace the intake (if you run the car before boosting it). You'd need to swap the throttle body as well I believe. There is some wiring involved as well, relating to the IACV and knock sensor.

Y8 intake won't fit on a Y7 intake manifold / TB. Y7 manifold / TB comes up towards the hood, whereas the Y8 is to the passenger side.

Once you go turbo, you won't need either intake.

98civlyfe

Depends. The D16Y8 intake manifold is better than the D16Y7 one. If you plan on swapping that with the head you'll need to replace the intake (if you run the car before boosting it). You'd need to swap the throttle body as well I believe. There is some wiring involved as well, relating to the IACV and knock sensor.

Y8 intake won't fit on a Y7 intake manifold / TB. Y7 manifold / TB comes up towards the hood, whereas the Y8 is to the passenger side.

Once you go turbo, you won't need either intake.
Thanks bud. I read somewhere that I can use the y7 throttle body and put a plate over where the stock y8 throttle body would go. Does that make sense? I think it was to bypass having to rewire for something. I'd have to look again. Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated!!!

98civlyfe

My bad not wiring but to keep the iac valve on the throttle body of the y7 instead of using the one on the y8 intake. Along with switching the spring and holder for the throttle cable. Idk if I'm making any sense haha

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you keep your y7 manifold you can reuse your y7 throttle body. But I would recommend swapping to a y8 manifold and TB, they flow much better! That's what I did when I did my mini-me swap. You can still keep your IACV you just need to do some rewiring to go from 3 to 2 wires. You'll also need a Vtec ECU.

MolonLabe556

Has anyone used a p29 piston on d16y7 block and d16y8 head. Or would i have problem with piston to valve clearance?

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Has anyone used a p29 piston on d16y7 block and d16y8 head. Or would i have problem with piston to valve clearance?

I've heard of people using them in both a D16Y7 and a D16Y8, so I assume it should be fine for you. If you have further questions on this though I would recommend creating your own thread for this. :thumbs up

MolonLabe556

I've heard of people using them in both a D16Y7 and a D16Y8, so I assume it should be fine for you. If you have further questions on this though I would recommend creating your own thread for this. :thumbs up
Ok I'll try and make a thread