Custom EX Exhaust question

CivicEx'00

I recently came into a modded exhaust system from someone who was scrapping their whole 2000 civic coupe

By modded I mean CAT delete, resonator delete, custom header I think, 2" diameter pipe all the way back to a giant muffler (I can fit my fist in it)

20170122_175142.jpg

20170122_175135.jpg

20170122_175102.jpg

20170122_175108.jpg

The person I bought it from for $25 did all the welding himself, and although I was doubtful, he assured me it would fit my 2000 EX coupe even though his was a DX body and had an SI engine (I think)

Now the reason I bought this from him wasn't to have a loud ass obnoxious automatic civic, it was because my exhaust has a really annoying rattle at 3k that I can't seem to find, and to be honest I wouldn't mind a throatier sound, mine with the rattle sounds laughably tinny.

Now for my questions

1. Is this going to be way too loud?

I'm not looking to draw more police attention to my red civic speeding on the highway

2. Will it even fit my car?

Someone who has installed an EX Coupe exhaust system and remembers what it looks like should be able to tell me if it looks completely different.

3. Does it look too crappy to even bother with?

It's very rusty, and there's A LOT of carbon build up wherever I can stick my finger in it. Not to mention it looks like there was some afterthought sealing work done on some of the welds, so this is not very quality work we're dealing with. Would it do more harm than good?

All in all, I'm expecting it to be $100 to get it installed, and $100 to uninstall if I don't like it. Im new at this , so any and all advice would be welcome, thank you!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If it fit an SI engine set-up then it will fit an EX.

Yes, it will sound loud, obnoxious and awful because it has no resonator or catalytic. 4 banger Civics are not designed to sound throaty at all, moreso automatics. Youre better off just installing a newer better quality muffler. RSX-S mufflers sound good on Civics.

If you own jack stands and basic tools then you can install it yourself.

Ecplain when the rattle is prevelant and why you are certain its the exhaust and not something else.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
From the cat back it will fit, but if it had a Si engine in it, I'm thinking B series, the header will not fit.

Is this going to be way too loud?

Does it look too crappy to even bother with?

It's very rusty, and there's A LOT of carbon build up wherever I can stick my finger in it. Not to mention it looks like there was some afterthought sealing work done on some of the welds, so this is not very quality work we're dealing with. Would it do more harm than good?

All in all, I'm expecting it to be $100 to get it installed, and $100 to uninstall if I don't like it.
Yes.
Yes.
Save the money to have it installed and scrap it.
Just based on how it looks, I would not have wasted the money to begin with,

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
Sadly I'm going to have to agree with the other two. If it's going to cost you $100 to have it installed then save your $100. Like baker said if it was from an si w a b16 then the header won't fit and seeing how it's all welded as one piece then it would take even more money for another header and fabrication. Even if this exhaust did bolt up it would sound absolutely horrendous. No cat converter, no resonator and a muffler like that all equal loud and raspy as hell. I'd be curious to find what's causing the rattle on your current exhaust. Most likely the heat shield rusting and coming loose which would be an easy fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CivicEx'00

An exhaust system described as fitting

92-00 Honda Civic 2-/ 4-Door EG8/ EJ1/ EJ2/ EJ6/ EJ7/ EJ8/ EM1
(Fits EG/ EJ/ EM1 Coupe/ Sedan Models ONLY; Does NOT Fit 3-Door/ Hatchback Models)

Does any of this include a 96-00 Civic coupe EX 2-door? I'm not quite sure how the naming works so if anyone who knows anything about civic models could let me know I'd appreciate it

mrcraigsr

Respected
An exhaust system described as fitting

92-00 Honda Civic 2-/ 4-Door EG8/ EJ1/ EJ2/ EJ6/ EJ7/ EJ8/ EM1
(Fits EG/ EJ/ EM1 Coupe/ Sedan Models ONLY; Does NOT Fit 3-Door/ Hatchback Models)

Does any of this include a 96-00 Civic coupe EX 2-door? I'm not quite sure how the naming works so if anyone who knows anything about civic models could let me know I'd appreciate it

Yes your car is a EJ6

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

CivicEx'00

Yes, it will sound loud, obnoxious and awful because it has no resonator or catalytic. 4 banger Civics are not designed to sound throaty at all, moreso automatics. Youre better off just installing a newer better quality muffler. RSX-S mufflers sound good on Civics.

If you own jack stands and basic tools then you can install it yourself.

Ecplain when the rattle is prevelant and why you are certain its the exhaust and not something else.
The rattle sounds like it is coming from under the rear of the car, and is only present around 3k RPMs. Everything I've read on a rattle like that leads me to exhaust.

Just for extra info, the previous owner of the car deleted the Catalytic convertor. I'm not sure if that affects the rattle or not

blandsarcasm

Respected
Registered VIP
The rattle sounds like it is coming from under the rear of the car, and is only present around 3k RPMs. Everything I've read on a rattle like that leads me to exhaust.

Just for extra info, the previous owner of the car deleted the Catalytic convertor. I'm not sure if that affects the rattle or not

I was thinking it could've been the heat shield around the cat but obviously not haha. The only way to figure it out is to get the car up and shake the exhaust to see if there's anything loose. There's another heat shield above the exhaust where it makes the s bend. It's possible for that to be the culprit as well. Also keep in mind that a cat acts as another resonator and without it in place the exhaust tone will sound different especially at higher rpm. If you swapped the cat out with a test pipe and drove the car back to back you would immediately be able to tell that it sounds more metallic and raspy. Also I there's a small leak that will cause a change in the tone. Just do the best you can to get under there and pinpoint the source

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
From the cat back it will fit, but if it had a Si engine in it, I'm thinking B series, the header will not fit.
Thats what I meant to write. My mistake. Thanks for the catch.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
@CivicEx'00 I moved the comments from the other thread into this one (#6,7) because they're obvious related to this.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm with everyone else here. Scrap it, it was a cheap pickup but not worth the headaches in the end.

If the rattle is coming from the back, the baffles inside the muffler might be loose / damaged and not diverting or leaking exhaust gases.