Custom Turbo 7th gen

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Anybody gone custom / junkyard turbo on a 7th gen yet?

I have yet to see one and I'm curious as to why. I'm really considering putting a shitload of time into researching and then putting one together but I wanted to know if there was some reason in specific that not many people have done it.

So I guess my question is.. Does anybody have a custom / junkyard turbo set up on their 7th gen.. and / or does anybody know why it isnt done too often compared to other gen civics?

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there was a girl on CC forever ago who had a boosted 7th gen, she said it still wasn't very fast though. Maybe the d17 doesn't respond as well to boost as usual hondas do I'm not sure, thats a good question :???:

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nigh just be how new they are. Give it time

04civic

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i dont know about custom turbo. i dought it will give you that much power unles you upgrade it and get internals and stuff.

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if done right with a good tune, you will get huge gains

ojay

7thgencivic.com dedicated
5+ Year Member
yep, custom will ultimately get you the best gains (turbo kit companies like dezod and stafford and TSI sacrifice best performance for price usually)

there's a few people on 7thgencivic running custom setups, the only one i can remember off hand is this guy: http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/member.php?u=2299 (setup info here as well)

running 245.9 whp, 207.4 tq @ 14psi (as of 10/11/2004)

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
any clue if that guy kept ps and ac?

thanks for the replies

ojay

7thgencivic.com dedicated
5+ Year Member
no idea. feel free to shoot him some questions, after all, that's what community forums are for ;)

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ojay said:
no idea. feel free to shoot him some questions, after all, that's what community forums are for ;)
that's a really good point. lol

got_sake?

1.7 ltrs of fury!!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've been looking into putting a kit together myself. I was planning on buing an HKS exhasut manifold with a T25 flange. Then get a Mitsu Garett Turbo, some 310 or 340cc injectors. The intercooler part I haven't decied what to do there. I've thought about getting a supra SMIC, trying to keep it a sleeper and having custom piping run. I'm still not sure what to do about air/fuel managment. Joe it would be friggin' awesome if you did more research on this. I know in the short term running boost is a hell of a lot cheaper than swapping a K20, espcially if you do a little ebay shopping or junkyard shopping. If i go boosted, I'd prolly only run 6-7 psi, but hey in theory that's an aditional horsepower. It's very tempting because my warrenty has long since been done. I've got 56,000 miles on my EM2 (i just love driving....)

So Joe, if you feel like hooking up some research, help me out here. Thanks!

Doug

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Hmm.. I think we should work together on this one sake. If we both research and share what we find we can probably figure out how to do this the right way.

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i dont understand what the question is...

96 DX Hatch

Alex
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
maybe this has been answered, but what happened to the k20a2 swap plans?

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
96 DX Hatch said:
maybe this has been answered, but what happened to the k20a2 swap plans?
ended up not getting the cash.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
joe7987 said:
So I guess my question is.. Does anybody have a custom / junkyard turbo set up on their 7th gen.. and / or does anybody know why it isnt done too often compared to other gen civics?

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'll post pics of my custom setup when I'm done with it... give it a week or so.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Blahman240 said:
I'll post pics of my custom setup when I'm done with it... give it a week or so.
Really? That'd be kick ass. Any information you can give us would be greatly appreciated and extremely helpful. Good luck with it all until then!

2k5civic

i hate imports...! siiike
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
this 7thgencivic.com user named Gabe i forget his username but it has gabe in it ill post it later when i get home from work ., but yea he lives where im at in arizona., and he dropped a custom turbo on a d17 no vtec lx engine and madn the gains were very promising. at not psi at all like maybe 1 psi you can feel the car pulling hard. i think hes ran it to a 10psi and he pulled on mustang cobra.

the d17a2 (1.7L sohc vtec) engine are known to hold very good boost . with the right setup and tune youre 7th gen will be monsterous.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sounds good to me. Hit us up with a link asap.

2k5civic

i hate imports...! siiike
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yea i will. i think he even has a vid as well. ill find it tonight nad post it up..

i was just in HS Tuners Forums this guy has a SF turbo kit on a stock D17A2 well tuned and hes running 13's. . they are taking it apart and slevveing the block and adding internals(beefing up the inside) and then they gonna run it. hopinh to pull 12's maybe 11's...... thats fresh .... to know we can add a turbo kit on our engines and well tune it and be doing 13's. all stock except the turbo hehe .

something to think about.