cut the illegals power! (az)

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
omg this state kicks ass!!!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/06/30/2010-06-30_arizona_immigration_law_backer_politician_barry_wong_wants_to_cut_power_from_ill.html

Arizona immigration law backer politician Barry Wong wants to cut power from illegal immigrant homes

BY Sean Alfano
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Wednesday, June 30th 2010, 8:06 AM
Barry Wong says cutting power from illegal immigrant homes would save Arizona money.

One Arizona politician has made a vow to make illegal immigrants powerless -- literally.

Republican Barry Wong, a candidate for the Arizona Corporation Commission, an elected body that decides public utility issues, says he would require the utilities to check the immigration status of customers, he told the Arizona Republic.

"I'm sure there will be criticism about human-rights violations," said Wong, who held a temporary spot on the five-person Commission in 2006. "Is power or natural gas or any type of utility we regulate, is that a right that people have? It is not a right. It is a service."

Cutting electricity, water, natural gas, even telephone lines at the homes of illegal immigrants, he said, would lower costs for the rest of the state's customers. He believes the population spike caused by illegal immigrants forces the state to build new power plants and then raise rates for customers.

Since 2000, Arizona's population has jumped nearly 29% to almost 6.6 million people. In roughly that same time, the number of the state's Hispanic residents increased and now composes more than 30% of Arizona's population, according to the U.S. Census.

This isn't the first time electricity surged into the immigration debate.

In May, after Los Angeles' City Council voted to boycott Arizona over its controversial anti-illegal immigration law, SB 1070, Gary Pierce, who sits on the Commission, suggested L.A. stop using his state's power.

Pierce, also a Republican, dismissed Wong's idea.

"That's not an argument I think we'll involve ourselves in," he said.

Critics, however, charge Wong with simply using a hot-button issue to gain notoriety and votes.

"Everyone is seeing the polls that are so anti-immigrant, and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon to target immigrants," said Julie Pace, a lawyer currently suing the state over a law punishing businesses that hire illegal immigrant help.

"They all are coming up with novel ideas how they can get elected. They say, 'Target immigrants, and it helps me win an election.'"

Wong believes his idea deserves further study.

"The question is: Is it the right thing to do in terms of rates?" Wong, a former four-term member of the state's House of Representatives, told the paper.

Arizona has come under fire for months for its efforts to battle illegal immigration, which was put under the national spotlight with the passage of SB 1070, which would allow law enforcement to ask suspects about their immigration status. However, the law which goes into effect July 29, has its supporters.

According to a recent Rasmussen poll, 71% of Arizona backs it, an increase from when Gov. Jan Brewer signed the bill in April.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wtf is that going to do besides make them feel more at home ???

Melt

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yo shiz ..... friend of mine is triyng desperately to secure me employment down there ... if so we gotta get hammered .... AZ FTW

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
for sure Melt. ASU has mad parties and clubs/bars are usually always poppin. let me know when your down here. hopefully within the next 1.5 years

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Wait.. so they have the addresses of the illegal immigrants? So instead of deporting them... we should cut their power? How does this make any sense?

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
"Everyone is seeing the polls that are so anti-immigrant, and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon to target immigrants," said Julie Pace, a lawyer currently suing the state over a law punishing businesses that hire illegal immigrant help.
f**k this b***h...seriously. She has got some MAJOR balls to pull some f**king stunt like that.
Wait.. so they have the addresses of the illegal immigrants? So instead of deporting them... we should cut their power? How does this make any sense?
It said in the article that utility companies would have to check whether the residents are here legally or not. I dont see how that infringes on someones rights.....its just a simple easy shortcut to figure out who IS and who ISN'T an illegal immigrant. But Joe, I agree totally with you. I think that cutting their power should just be a temp thing while they start deporting them. Cant do it all at once, so while they wait.....cut their power.