CV boot exploded... need help removing grease from wheels

lonewolf

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OK, so my drivers side outer cv boot exploded and grease flew everythere, I got the brakes sorted by a local garage, but I want to remove the grease from the inside of my wheels and I can't get it off!!

I tried hot water and shampoo, then realised that was a mistake, so tried detergent, that didn't work either. Next i used engine degreaser and that moved it around a little but it won't come off!! I even tried engine oil to see if that would disolve it.

The inside of my rim is black with grease, (well browny gray anyway).

How do I get rid of this sh*t?

Thanks

green ej8

diamond member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
try parts cleaner or if that doesnt work then try brake cleaner even some simple green might help

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Carb cleaner, simple green. Good lord, SHAMPOO? You're retarded. Sorry, but it had to be said. I would hate to see what condition your car's PAINT is in with how you try and clean things.

But once again, carb cleaner. I clean my hands with it. Disolves grease, silicone, paint, anything that I can't get off when I use GoJo on my hands.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah... for grease... just keep trying degreasers. You might need to remove the wheel and let it sit for awhile (think a few hours to overnight).

lonewolf

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What's wrong with using shampoo? OK it wasn't up to the job and then I realised how bad the grease was... what do you use to clean your wheels?

My paint is in excellent condition Thankyou, I'm only trying slightly 'extreme' measures on this stubborn grease on the wheels.

Thanks for the help though. I already took the wheel off for better scrubbing, but I'll try carb cleaner and leave it for longer than 10 minutes this time!

douggiefresh

Douggie Fresh
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Simple Green should do the job. But you could also use Spray Nine, just make sure the wheels are wet, scrub them good, then wash right off. Spray Nine works great on grease...

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lonewolf said:
What's wrong with using shampoo? OK it wasn't up to the job and then I realised how bad the grease was... what do you use to clean your wheels?

My paint is in excellent condition Thankyou, I'm only trying slightly 'extreme' measures on this stubborn grease on the wheels.

Thanks for the help though. I already took the wheel off for better scrubbing, but I'll try carb cleaner and leave it for longer than 10 minutes this time!
Because shampoos have protiens and floor wax in them. Do you seriously want that s**t on your car? Do you know anything about chemistry? Shampoo is just about the worst thing you could use as a cleaning product.

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Shampoo just isn't harsh enough to remove what you're trying to take care of. Let's switch it.. would you use carb cleaner to wash your hair?

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wtf??? u clean ur hads with carb cleaner? that s**t burns lol i was cleaning my TB and got it on my thumb and it burned or felt wierd lol

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well depending on what u get it might take off ur clear coat.. id try vinegar with hot water ( more vinegar then water ) mix it up really good let it soak and it will come off little by little while cutin the grease, then just get a pressurer washer or something and your good...

Eran

It's on ass-backwards.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
AliasNeo said:
wtf??? u clean ur hads with carb cleaner? that s**t burns lol i was cleaning my TB and got it on my thumb and it burned or felt wierd lol
I immediately wash it off my hand, but it does disolve anything that's being stubborn.

lonewolf

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Eran said:
Because shampoos have protiens and floor wax in them. Do you seriously want that s**t on your car? Do you know anything about chemistry? Shampoo is just about the worst thing you could use as a cleaning product.
lol Not that shampoo!! not hair shampoo, not floor shampoo.

This shampoo :-

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rotfpmwl !!!!!!!! you thought I would use anything like floor cleaner or hair shampoo?

The wheels finish is 'normal'? They arn't polished and I don't know if they are powder coated, just 'normal' alloys. I meant to do it yesterday, but it was raining quite heavy so i didn't bother.

Thanks for the help (and for taking the piss! ;) )

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
AliasNeo said:

it dont burn it just gets really cold and feels funny..

rly44

5+ Year Member
Just use a sponge and some carwash soap.. I just cleaned the crap off my rims since my CV boots were cracked before.. Got em fixed and cleaned my rims when I switched over to my winter steelies yesterday... You can always use something with a rougher surface to to scrub..

Vtecademics

Senior Lurker
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Try purple power or any degreaser and give it time to cut the grease. If you can't clean some cv boot grease off your wheels, you have bigger problems than dirty rims.

King Bob

The life'o Riley
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Take it to a pressure washer and spray it off or use vorisol or kerosene.

Revolver

Oct 10th
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Last time I had a problem with grease everywhere from a cv boot leak... I just used some paper shop towels.

deaconwagers

...now rockin an integra
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
same thing happened to my boy's celica, try turtle wax rubbing compound, it costs around $2 and comes in a little red tub.