Cvt to automatic transmission swap help.

Aaron_Edwards

Good day I've got a 96 ek3 civic with a d15b non vtec with a cvt transmission . The problem is my mechanic told me the cvt is dead. I was wondering if it could be replaced with a regular automatic transmission and what are the parts need to do the swap

dancam

Registered VIP
I did a quick search on google (as you could do) and it appears that it is quite a lot of work to swap in an auto or manual. Ecu, wiring, intake manifold, engine mounts... And so on need to be changed. Recommendation on the site i looked at was to replace with a cvt, sell it, buy an auto or standard.
So are you really attached to the car and want to do this even if its not cost effective? Or are you doing this for what is cheapest/easiest/makes the most sense?
On a side note i wasn't aware cvt's were on cars this old. How was it to drive before it died? Was it nice or a pain? How is fuel economy compared to an auto or manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TheUglyHatchling

I did a quick search on google (as you could do) and it appears that it is quite a lot of work to swap in an auto or manual. Ecu, wiring, intake manifold, engine mounts... And so on need to be changed. Recommendation on the site i looked at was to replace with a cvt, sell it, buy an auto or standard.
So are you really attached to the car and want to do this even if its not cost effective? Or are you doing this for what is cheapest/easiest/makes the most sense?
On a side note i wasn't aware cvt's were on cars this old. How was it to drive before it died? Was it nice or a pain? How is fuel economy compared to an auto or manual?

Looked it up and yeah it seems the HX came with a cvt.

dancam

Registered VIP
Looked it up and yeah it seems the HX came with a cvt.
I should have said that i wasn't aware until now that they were on cars that old. I previously thought cvt's were post-2005ish.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
96-00 Civic HXs had either CVT or 5-speed manual trannies. In your case, I cant understand why someone would swap in a D15B engine onto a CVT tranny. From all I've read, those trannies suck for performance while the D15B engine is great for performance. I can only imagine that to be an oddly quickly revving set-up. Just swap in another CVT tranny then baby the hell out of it while you enjoy it.