cylinder 2 misfire and a 1399 code pops up along with a 0302 code.

hondaguy6931

my 98 civic has a bigg loss in power and is now starting to overheat. i can smell coolant also. check engine light is on and auto zones code reader gives me the 0302 code and says cylinder 2 is misfiring. it also tell me that there is a vacuum leak affecting one cylinder, theres an ignition system concern, theres also a blocked or faulty injector. and the other code thats 1399 is saying blocked EGR passage and valve clearance is out of range. can somebody please help me figure out what to do. the car has 207000 miles on it and I'm sure its the original motor

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my 98 civic has a bigg loss in power and is now starting to overheat. i can smell coolant also. check engine light is on and auto zones code reader gives me the 0302 code and says cylinder 2 is misfiring. it also tell me that there is a vacuum leak affecting one cylinder, theres an ignition system concern, theres also a blocked or faulty injector. and the other code thats 1399 is saying blocked EGR passage and valve clearance is out of range. can somebody please help me figure out what to do. the car has 207000 miles on it and I'm sure its the original motor
- Inspect your spark plugs along with their gap ( should be .44). They may need replacing. If theyre fine, you may need new wires.
- Clean out your EGR chamber & EGR valve with carb cleaner. Often times, that'll fix the EGR code.
- Check all the vacuum lines.

Once you've done all that, check back with us.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You posted most of your answers within your first post.

- Do a full tune up. (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc)
- Unblock the EGR.....Hint: clean it.
- Do a valve adjustment.
- Find the blocked injector and clear it or replace it.
- Find the vacuum leak and fix it.

Every thing posted is extremely simple. If this isn't your forte, I would recommend taking it to a mechanic.

RonJ

Banned
CEL code P1399 is not specific to the EGR system, and only one rare 96-00 Civic trim (HX) even has an EGR system. That's why you need to mention the Civic trim.

The overheating, in conjunction with the smell of coolant and the P0302 misfire code, could indicate a blown head gasket.