D series shift rod seal question.

NOLAcivic

Respected
Hey guys,

I just joined this group b/c I just purchased my my first 6th gen civic. It's a 2000 Honda Civic EX w/ a D16Y8 5spd. I haven't had a D series engine in a LONG time. I have always swapped in a B series or owned an Integra ( still own a 95 integra LS/VTEC turbo).

Upon purchasing I noticed that there was a lot of oil underneath the motor and transmission. So I'm chasing down the leaks at the moment. I went ahead and wiped everything as clean as I could to see where the oil is dripping from.

I have found that on the transmissions side there is oil coming from the shift rod seal and on the engine side it might be the main seals front and rear or oil pan b/c it's only wet in those areas. I did notice on the oil pan it's dripping at the pan where the oil pressure sensor would be vertical from that spot (the back driver side about 2"-3" away from the crank pulley).

My question is in regards to the shift rod seal. Are there two types? I have read that you have to crack the transmission case open to change it out and then I have read it's just like a B series and you can removed the shift linkage and pull off the old seal and press in a new one. Can anyone confirm that it's like a B series? I've personally never heard of having to open the transmission to change the seal but I'm not as familiar with a D series motor.

Thanks in advance
Ryan

Attachments

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Hey guys,

I just joined this group b/c I just purchased my my first 6th gen civic. It's a 2000 Honda Civic EX w/ a D16Y8 5spd. I haven't had a D series engine in a LONG time. I have always swapped in a B series or owned an Integra ( still own a 95 integra LS/VTEC turbo).

Upon purchasing I noticed that there was a lot of oil underneath the motor and transmission. So I'm chasing down the leaks at the moment. I went ahead and wiped everything as clean as I could to see where the oil is dripping from.

I have found that on the transmissions side there is oil coming from the shift rod seal and on the engine side it might be the main seals front and rear or oil pan b/c it's only wet in those areas. I did notice on the oil pan it's dripping at the pan where the oil pressure sensor would be vertical from that spot (the back driver side about 2"-3" away from the crank pulley).

My question is in regards to the shift rod seal. Are there two types? I have read that you have to crack the transmission case open to change it out and then I have read it's just like a B series and you can removed the shift linkage and pull off the old seal and press in a new one. Can anyone confirm that it's like a B series? I've personally never heard of having to open the transmission to change the seal but I'm not as familiar with a D series motor.

Thanks in advance
Ryan
yea same design. you can do it both ways.

NOLAcivic

Respected
yea same design. you can do it both ways.
Thank you sir. I just wanted to confirm b/c I just broke down my Integra transmission twice. Once to install a viscous LSD with GSR internals and then the input shaft was bad (always change it if you haven't). So I had to take it out and pull it apart a second time to fix it. Tired of transmission work lol. Thanks again.

Ryan

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Thank you sir. I just wanted to confirm b/c I just broke down my Integra transmission twice. Once to install a viscous LSD with GSR internals and then the input shaft was bad (always change it if you haven't). So I had to take it out and pull it apart a second time to fix it. Tired of transmission work lol. Thanks again.

Ryan
np