D-series Transmissions question

poptikx

5+ Year Member
Howdy,

I have been searching for a clearish answer on this, but was not able to find it, so i have probably just looked right past it. So i do apologize up front since this is probably asked alot.

I have a D15B7 mated to a CX manual transmission.
I am seeing if anyone has changed to either a DX or a SI transmission and noticed that first gear uphill is easier.

Thanks for any advice. I have looked at the gear ratios, and i was not clear if all of the DX/LX/SI/VX/CX transmissions appeared to have the same ratio for first gear, is that correct?

Additionally, this is just my daily driver that hopes to become my Project Car in a year or two.

Restotech

Respected
IMG_20160812_102020457.jpg
Final reduction is the difference in first. You want ex or si trans. The only difference between ex and si is 5th gear. Si is a lower 5th gear (higher rpm at same speed)

poptikx

5+ Year Member
Thanks Restotech. I was looking at that earlier. TO confirm, first gear in the EX, SI would be the same as first in a CX transmission?

Restotech

Respected
Yes and no. 1st gear is the same but the final drive ratio is different. Ex and si is like having a 4.11 rear end in a muscle car. CX would be like a 3.50. Ex and si trans will give you the best acceleration. CX will give you the best fuel mileage.