d15b7/d16y8 mini me swap questions

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
alright my friend is giving me a d16y8 head and intake manifold for free, he just wants to get rid of them, so im considering a mini me swap on my dd. right now its got a leaky head gasket, it burns some oil and coolant, so i know the heads gonna have to come off eventually to change that headgasket, so i'm wondering if i should just swap heads while i'm in there.

1) is there any extra wiring involved in using the obd2 d16y8 head on an obd1 d15b7 block in an obd1 chassis (1995 civic dx sedan)?

2) i am assuming i need a d16y8 distributor, but how would i do that with the whole obd1/obd2 mix?

3) what timing belt do i use?

4) where would i get the 2 layer d16y8 head gasket from that would bump the compression ratio up to 11.0:1?

5) should i convert to obd2 and use a d16y8 ecu or stay obd1 and just use a p28? do i have to convert to obd2 since i'd be using an obd2 head?

6) if i had to convert to obd2 how would i go about wiring up vtec? would it still be the same despite that i would have to use a conversion harness?

7) is the d16y8 head really better than the d16z6? i know the intake manifold flows better.

8) how much more power would i be making than a stock d16y8, since i would have a much higher compression ratio (should be 11.0:1)?

9) if i decide not to do the head swap is it worth my time to just switch intake manifolds and use the y8 one? i know its better. should i just reuse my stock throttle body? i could get my hands on a stock b16 one, but is the y8 manifold port matched for a b16 one or would i be wasting my time? would i have any noticeable difference with just the intake manifold swap?

Please any help would be awesome! i've done some research and i've found a bunch of z6/b7 swaps but not much info on y8/b7 swaps. let me know please!!!