D16Y5 Really Doesn't Want To Idle

Naughty33W

Hey guys, so I just picked up this 2000 HX in nice shape but running poorly. It really doesn't like to idle and it seems like there's no timing advance since she is REALLY difficult to get moving and bogs easily.

So, I decided to give her some much needed love and took care of: plugs, plug wires, dizzy cap/rotor, fuel filter, fresh gas, cleaned out EGR system, oil pan gasket (and oil change), checked all the fuses/connectors, vacuum lines, cleaned out the IAC, and several other misc bits. Throttle body looks good.

She runs better, especially if I bump the idle to 1000, but the overall problem persists.

Blip the throttle and she bogs then she is an absolute dog up till about 3000 where she smooths out a bit but still lacks any power.

She pulls a CEL after startup but only if I rev her. No code reader and Autozone is a bit far in her condition.

Can't confirm base timing because the idle is too bouncy but it is close enough that it should idle.

This basically leaves me thinking: dizzy itself or a specific sensor. Any ideas? TPS?

TPS output shouldnt matter that much for idle and the IAC shouldn't matter beyond idle :-/

Thanks

Naughty33W

Just realized that I didnt check the timing belt ... Well, it's dark now so I will give it a check in the morning and get back to you guys. It adds up as the culprit and the history of the car is dubious at best. Bah, I hate doing timing belts ...

mrcraigsr

Respected
You will see a change when you rev the motor. The motor kinda dies out.
When you rev the motor now does it rev up pretty decent? Have you checked the fuel injectors?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Naughty33W

She bogs when rev'd and lacks any power. Hard to get her to rev cleanly. --- Injectors are spraying nicely.

Naughty33W

So ... Before pulling codes I figured I'd yank the timing cover real quick and see what there is to see.

Turns out that the plastic back cover (motor side of the gears) has warped over time and is being ground away by the cam gear. I'm thinking little pieces of plastic have been falling into the timing set and come between the gears and belt. Throwing it off over time.

One skipped tooth would be all it takes.

Pulling the bottom apart to put her at TDC check is darn near doing the timing job so I guess I might as well just do the timing job.

Wtf

Last edited:

Naughty33W

71 & 73 (misfire on 1 and 3) - I know the dizzy, cap rotor, wires, and plugs are good. I tested the injectors and they were good too. Must be firing too far off. That leads me back to the timing belt. Sound about right?

Naughty33W

Already ordered the timing set with new water pump (since why not?).

I'm not getting even the tiniest bit of black smoke so I doubt it's blowby on old rings. No white smoke either so headgasket is good (99% of the time anyways). I REALLY went to town on cleaning the EGR system as my research said the same thing. Nothing was fully clogged but I soaked the EGR mani in my ultrasonic cleaner and vacuumed the ports as I used a drill bit to remove the carbon buildup. Cleaned the EGR valve with some brake clean too.

I try to be thorough so I don't have to pull apart the same thing twice, haha.

Naughty33W

The thing is, it's not actually missing. You'd never get the thing to run being down two cylinders.

I can hook my timing light up to each wire and see that they are pulsing. With the rail detached and injectors wired onto the rail I can watch them spray.

Can't think where else to look.

Naughty33W

I'll do a compression test while I await my parts. Can't check the spark or fuel anymore than I already have really

mrcraigsr

Respected
I've been a tooth off installing my new timing belt. it will still idle but at high rpm with slow response when you hit the throttle.
My d16y8 CEL was IACV and misfire on 3 ideal was rough with a 1200 rpm to 2000 rpm loop. Smooth sailing at high speeds. I believe boofoo is leading you in the right direction I just wanted to throw my 2¢ in about timing belt one tooth off. Good luck

mrcraigsr

Respected
I've been a tooth off installing my new timing belt. it will still idle but at high rpm with slow response when you hit the throttle.
My d16y8 CEL was IACV and misfire on 3 ideal was rough with a 1200 rpm to 2000 rpm loop. Smooth sailing at high speeds. After changing the IACV she was good to go. I believe boofoo is leading you in the right direction I just wanted to throw my 2¢ in about timing belt one tooth off. Good luck

Naughty33W

Sounds like my issue but 1 tooth off in the other direction. for low/crap idle and no high rpm power. Same misfire code too.

Still waiting on parts so I went ahead and replaced the alternator (pulsing lights on dash and low output) and resoldered all the speedometer card joints since it was sitting at 20mph with no response or odometer.

Debating if I'm going to clean up the whole body and repaint or more or less leave it a little ugly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Naughty33W

Okay, sorry for the delay, had to wait on parts/tools.

Timing belt checks out fine. Valve lash is good. Compression is good. Still no improvement.

Everything checks out. Still gutless under 3k rpms. Runs smooth but she acts like I'm working with a 10hp 2 stroke.

Oh, I should mention that the misfire is gone. She idles fine and acts reasonable in the higher RPMS but is a complete dog in the low rpms. I dont get it ...

Last edited by a moderator: