D16y5 vs D16y8?

brentl21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok i have a 97 ex coupe with the y8 in it and i just bought out of a 98 civic the y5 which is vtec-e i am also swaping to 5 speed so which engine is better in your opinion.....caues i was lookin at the specs and the y5 has less a little less on everything than the y8......but if i am correct the vtec-e is the enhanced performance version on vtec which means it will kick in longer and a little harder....not that i will really be able to tell in a SOHC....lol........thanks

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the d16y5 is out of a civic hx. it will be slow at 115hp but get sweet gas mileage (40mpg i've heard). the d16y8 is out of a civic ex. it will be a little faster than the y5 but still slow with 127hp, and still get good gas mileage (~35mpg). Both are vtec engines, the vtec-e isn't a better form of vtec, its just how honda designed it. I don't know much about it but its something like a 3 stage vtec or something. go with the y8 ;)

WillyBigNut

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i think the y8 would be better. i think the vtec-e is to get better gas mileage or somethin, but i could be wrong

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ok what do you want? power or gas milage?

the y5 is vtec-e wich stands for "Economy". it has one valve open in the lower rpms to induce a swirling motion to the intake charge for a better air/fuel mix to produce better torque with less fuel needed. once the engine increases speed, around 3000rpm the second intake valve opens because the single valve becomes a large restriction on air flow.

the y8 acts like what most would consider normal vtec. both valves open simultaneously with a low/high switch on the cam.

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

the y5 is vtec-e wich stands for "Economy". it has one valve open in the lower rpms to induce a swirling motion to the intake charge for a better air/fuel mix to produce better torque with less fuel needed. once the engine increases speed, around 3000rpm the second intake valve opens because the single valve becomes a large restriction on air flow.

the y8 acts like what most would consider normal vtec. both valves open simultaneously with a low/high switch on the cam.
thank you for the explanation. :thumbs up

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If I could go back and have a choice of a motor for a DD, I'd get a y5 for the gas mileage. I don't drive fast anymore so all I care about is saving money. But B-Series (particularly B18B) is more ideal for me since it has good power:torque ratio and still gets good MPG ;).

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

dammit you beat me to it:(

Civic Stud

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would take the y8 block, intake manifold, exhaust manifold and transmission and but the y5 head on it. I have a y8block, exhaust and transmission with a y5 head and intake and get about 45 mpg regularly with it. The y5 will give you better low end torque, but the y5 intake as small intake chambers and an EGR valve.

Ther is a guy on H-T that has build this setup and says its the best d series setup. His name is bense or something like that. He seems to know his stuff.

brentl21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well does the vtec kick in just like the ex.......and my ex tranny is auto....so what i was just going to do was swap the intake mani's cause i guess the runners in the y8 is a little bit bigger and also use my headers from the y8 and put it on the y5.......will that work and get me right around the same power as the ex.....and hopefully vtec will actually kick in now that it will be 5 speed?

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the car being a 5 speed or auto has nothing to do with vtec. vtec will be the same on both, its sohc vtec. now dohc vtec is another story lol. you can actually feel and hear it. i <3 vtec =D

Civic Stud

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the car being a 5 speed or auto has nothing to do with vtec. vtec will be the same on both, its sohc vtec. now dohc vtec is another story lol. you can actually feel and hear it. i <3 vtec =D
They kick in at different rpms. The hx vtec wants to work at about 2800 rpm/s and the ex wants to work around 4800. If you want to run the hx head, you will need to run the hx ecu. My car had an ex ecu and ran like s**t between 3000 and 4800. It was like you had to mash the pedal to the floor to accelerate. That is because of what the other guys said about the valves. The hx only uses one intake valve until vtes hits. If your ex ecu is tryingh to run vtec at 4800, then its running on one valve until then and can't run correctly.

Civic Stud

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Unless your going for good gas mileage and some extra power above the y5 and y7, I'd stick with a complete y8.

brentl21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well i kinda want to put the hx in with the y8 intake mani and the y8 headers because it already has the 5 speed tranny on it and i have the linkage and the ECU for the hx.........i figure it would be about the same after i did that........another reason i want to put the hx in is that it has 170,000 miles and the y8 that is in my car now has well over 200,000......but i am just thinkin and am really glad u all are giveing my opinions on the best set up with what i have cause thats what i need and more ideas?

brentl21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
o ok lol......but the y8 is not 5 speed and i just got a hx with a 5 speed tranny already bolted on and i figured if i just put the intake mani and the headers on it would be almost the same.....well i hoped lol so i am not sure what to do

brentl21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the y8 is in my car now.....but its auto.....and i don't want to put the y5 tranny on it because its geared higher and wouldn't hold up right?.........i won't be dissapointed if i just put the y5 with 5 speed tranny that i just bought and add the y8 intake mani and headers will i? i am just trying to figure out what will work best of corse........vtec willl still kick in just in lower rpms?