D16Y7 broken camshaft cap - distro top mount

dryeager

5+ Year Member
In the pursuit of an oil leak under the distro - after replacing the distro O-ring - my next logical place was the valve cover gasket. When I took off the valve cover, I noticed no leaking around the camshaft cap but did notice that the piece of aluminum where the distro mounts, is cracked and the distributor is cockeyed. Thoughts on where to source one and how hard is it to replace the cap?

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
im assuming you're talking about this piece? see attached - red circle. got it from this site:
http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hpa_parts_list.php?vin=&Label[ProductID]=CIVIC&Label[YearID]=1997&Label[DoorID]=3&Label[GradeID]=CX&Label[AreaID]=KA&Label[TransmissionID]=5MT&Label[SectionID]=ENGINE&Label[IllustrationGroupID]=CYLINDER+HEAD&ProductID=4&YearID=15&DoorID=2&GradeID=12&AreaID=2&TransmissionID=3&SectionID=1&IllustrationGroupID=1901

if so i think you may be SOL if you're looking for a part from the dealer. I would try to find it in a you-pull-it junkyard. or try and find a y7 head for parts...

Attachments

dryeager

5+ Year Member
As far as installation, should it be as easy as popping off the old one and putting the new one on?

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
with the dizzy off it should only be the 2 fasteners that hold it down to the head, so it will be easy to remove. since this piece is a cam shaft holder, you should torque it down properly when installing onto your head. i would also suggest taking a look at the inside surface that contacts the cam shaft and check for any gouging (bad). if it shows a nice smooth polished finish then it is in good condition. also be sure to apply a little bit of fresh engine oil on the same surface before installing.
if you don't have the torque spec i have a honda service manual and can provide the spec to you but im at work right now so ill have to get it later

dryeager

5+ Year Member
if you don't have the torque spec i have a honda service manual and can provide the spec to you but im at work right now so ill have to get it later
Thank you so much! Fortunately, I have a copy of the service manual as well. Thanks for the tips. I was just wanting to confirm that the cam wouldnt shoot out or that all the caps would have to be taken loose. Sounds like a fairly straight forward job. Now to find the part I need.

Jersey8

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thank you so much! Fortunately, I have a copy of the service manual as well. Thanks for the tips. I was just wanting to confirm that the cam wouldnt shoot out or that all the caps would have to be taken loose. Sounds like a fairly straight forward job. Now to find the part I need.
generally when removing the cam entirely there is a specific loosening sequence and tightening sequence... but since you're only removing the one end holder i really don't think its necessary in this situation.

since this is a cam holder you do need to be careful. make sure you do not mix up the 2 fasteners, try not to touch the surfaces that contact the cam, etc. you want the surfaces to stay as clean as possible because the holder is essentially a slider bearing. i believe the service manual also says to dip the fastener threads in engine oil before torquing... you may want to verify that because that may be just for the head studs.

dryeager

5+ Year Member
Thank you again! The more info the better. Had to remove a broken valve cover bolt last night and by means do I want to go through that on the cam cap bolts.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Anyone happen to know if the cam cap off a z6 is the same?

#5 cam caps:
Z6 on top, Y7 on bottom:

Hey, here's a pictar i found online. examine

Strange. WHat you posted looked like what they are calling z6

dryeager

5+ Year Member
Well perhaps I have a z6 head. Wonder what else may be a tell tale sign or you have a mixed up the two parts. I went to pull-a-part today and found a couple but was afraid they maybe rusted or pitted as the valve covers were missing off all the engines. Other thing I learned is that the entire rocker assembly does have to be removed to replace the part. Good news - I wanted to replace the timing belt anyway so now is my chance. Two birds, as they say.

Thanks everyone!

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Honestyl I just search on google man, and someone on a D series forum posted those images. The thread was about comparing Y7 and Z6 cam caps.