D16Y7 to D16Y8 head swap Ques

ssmith97dx

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok, I have spent the last three hours at work reviewing all I could find on doing this swap. Some may be asking why do this and not the complete engine swap? Well, I don't plan on keeping the car that long and $500-600 is more accessible than $3000-4000. So, I have learned that I will need the following components for the swap (quick, generic list):

- Y8 EX head (should have it cleaned (any suggestions how?))
- Y8 EX manifold?
- New ecu (read something about a P28 I think? Any suggestions or corrections to this?)
- Replacement Head Gasket
- Replacement head bolts

Ok, I also read that I would need to get:
- VTEC controller and solenoid --> Is this correct and what are they?

As you can see I am little bit of a noob in this area. Anyways, I do understand that some splicing may be required as well as some brackets for the Throttle Body. Oh, another question:

- Would there be any benefit from replacing the Y7 throttle body with the Y8 throttle body?

Now, while I am in there doing this work, I would like to replace the pistons and cam if possible.

- Would I see any benefits from doing this?
- If so, how do I know which pistons and cams would be right for my setup?

Ok, again, I have spent a number of hours researching this and these are my remaining questions. To include all my info, I have a 97 Civic DX with the D16Y7 with no mods. I do not plan on doing an engine swap, turbo, fart can or any other extensive mods. Why, like I said above, little money, not keeping car that long and this is a challenge I would like to adventure into. Thanks :D

ImportRacerFF

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Here is what you want.

Y8 intake manifold and throttle body
Y8 Head (dont worry about port and polish it wont add much and you would need a new cam)
Y8 Exhaust manifold (Not necessarry but your manifold will hold back some hp with the new head)
Y8 Vtec solenoid, oil lines, ecu (the ecu is a direct swap just make sure you get the right one).

There is absoultly a huge amount of work that can be done on the Y8 head, its all a question if you have the money.

Cam (which one depends on what you choose on the list below)
PnP (mated with a cam)
Valve Springs, Seats, Valves (Allow you pull redline all day long, and if you add fuel and fuel management componets you can raise the rpms)
Roller Rockers (reduce friction freeing up rpms, you need to really invest and research if you plan on doing these)

Feel free to IM me or E-mail me. I own a d16y8 and can speak to you personally to find what will best fit you there is alot you can do to the y8's

ssmith97dx

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wow, thanks a bunch for the clarification.

Ok, in regards to the ecu:
- When you say the correct one, how would I know which one is the right one?
I have read stuff about using a P28, an EX ecu as well as using the stock D16Y7 with some alterations.

All right, another question I have is when I do the swap will I be using my existing fuel set up or are the injectors and fuel rail different for the D16Y8?

As for the PnP, Cam, Valve springs, seats and valves; I would like to do this work but it will budget oriented.

Also, would there be any advantages to changing out pistons?

Thanks again

EFboogie

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
heh dude with you y8 manifold u should get hte injectors and the fuel rail... i have ap ic of one but i ain't selling its going onto my d16y7 ;) hehe gonna find a nice z6 head for it and bust some noob ass inmy 4g hb.... hehe turbo is soon to come lhehehe.... let me know if u need ne clarification on any thing the pnp is gonna run u a bit i can get those done in rdu for around 350 with a head shave along with 5angle valve job... not bad considering im getting someone to do it for the right price but still u shouldn't spend that $$$ on a head that runs u only $150-200 i wouldn't unless i was going turbo... which im not on a d16y7/8 =)

ssmith97dx

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:what: Ok, any chance you could translate that into english for the rest of us? ;)

ImportRacerFF

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dont worry about the pnp job, the y8 heads are already pretty wide, and it also means you have to get a new cam. It also means you should prolly get new valves and valve springs which do not come cheap. The 5 angle job will not increase, (and at many dyno test) have proven to reduce hp (by lose of velocity). So dont spend the money on it. (that does not go for other applications). Your best bet with the head is valve springs, reatiners, valves, cam shaft, and then if u have enough money get your self a pnp job and roller rockers. You need to know exactly what you want out of the head before you do any work to it, so that you buy the right cam. Valve springs and seats are most deff. my suggestion, raising the rpm's is the sohc sword.