d16y7 y8 head swap and first stage cam swap

staticfitment

Hey guys I have a 97 civic dx coupe and I am looking into trying to make it make a little bit more power. So I am going to start with swapping it to a y8 head. Will I gain any power from this at all? And after I do this I am looking to put a stage one cam into it. I do not usually do performance things and I do not really want to go forced induction since this is just a middle project until I can buy something new. I would love some input on the head swap and would love to know what type of cam to put in and how difficult will the swap be. Thanks guys!

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Not worth it. If you want more power swap to a bigger engine.

You are going to need more than just the head to go from a Y7 to a Y8 (new ecu, Y8 intake manifold, complete y8 engine harness, etc.).

From my understanding, D-series motors don't respond well to bolt ons so a cam isn't going to be worth the money unless you are completely building the internals.

BTW, from what I have read a Y8 is the same head as a Y7, it just has vtec, hence why you need all the extra crap to run it. Won't net you any power from just the swap.

Last edited:

staticfitment

from what I read all that I would need to swap the head would be the intake manifold the y8 head and the p28 ecu. The cam would come a long way in the future. lol If I put the y8 intake manifold onto my y7 block would I need to swap out the fuel rail and injectors or could I use the y7 fuel rail and injectors for the y8 manifold? I know its not really worth it but its the cost effective way for me to go with this car atm haha.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Going to need the harness as well. I believe you need the fuel rail and injectors for the Y8.

You said you were doing it for power. Is that the reason for the swap? Again, this is the same head just with the add of vtec. It won't gain you power. Nothing worth the hassle and money anyway.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Why don't you just swap in a healthy y8, going to have about the same amount of power and less work in the end.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The head itself will not be what makes the power difference, it's the vtec camshaft that comes in that y8 head that will make the small difference.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Yeah, youre talking about doing a mini me vs just swapping in a whole engine. At least with the whole engine you have everything and just have to do some minor wiring.

staticfitment

Thanks for all the advice guys! I knew there was a reason why I like this forum more than any of the other ones! Im still going through with the head swap just because it is my first time messing with something like this and it the perfect amount work! So just to clarify I got a d16y8 intake manifold and throttle body, can I use the d16y7 fuel rail and injectors or can I only use the y8 fuel rail and injectors? Also I do need the wiring harness? Thanks guys again! :D

Also this is gonna sound super nooby and that's fine since this is the first time I've attempted anything like this . Is there a problem using a 5spd y8 intake manifold on the y7 automatic tranny? :o

Last edited by a moderator:

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for all the advice guys! I knew there was a reason why I like this forum more than any of the other ones! Im still going through with the head swap just because it is my first time messing with something like this and it the perfect amount work! So just to clarify I got a d16y8 intake manifold and throttle body, can I use the d16y7 fuel rail and injectors or can I only use the y8 fuel rail and injectors? Also I do need the wiring harness? Thanks guys again! :D

Also this is gonna sound super nooby and that's fine since this is the first time I've attempted anything like this . Is there a problem using a 5spd y8 intake manifold on the y7 automatic tranny? :o
Again. You need the wiring harness, an intake manifold from a Y8, the ecu from the Y8, and (from what I can find) the fuel rail and injectors.

staticfitment

What I found was if you just want to start with the intake manifold all you need is the manifold and the harness cuz with the injectors from the y8 it'll run too rich

staticfitment

I have this printed out haha it's just different because I have the auto trans lol if I have an auto y8 intake manifold and a harness hooking the manifold up should be plug and play right?

I am gonna swap the head and ecu out in a couple weekends but for this weekend I just want to swap the intake manifold out. So what would I need to do that? I have an auto y8 intake manifold and throttle body and my car is an auto d16y7 pretty much all I need is the wiring harness and and I can hook it up and run it right?

Last edited by a moderator:

staticfitment

I have but different people say different things I'm just trying to nail down a solid answer! Haha I know I sound stupid but in just trying to get these answers from people that are experienced! Haha