1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

d16y8 cheap mods to make it faster? no boost!

Discussion in 'Tech Archive (No Posting)' started by HAZARDOUScivic, Jan 12, 2010.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. HAZARDOUScivic

HAZARDOUScivic New Member 5+ Year Member

hey im new around here i just wondering if any one knows any cheap mods to make my d16y8 a lil faster or get some horse power? im want to stay all motor for know if you know of anything let me know! i already have cold air intake,headers,stage 1 clutch(pointless i know), borla exhaust..:?::?: thanks

im going to a community collage i taking collision repair this is my lil project
    my ride before
    [​IMG]
    after
    [​IMG]

2. defvayne

defvayne Set This World On Blaze!! Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Well you have the basic I/E/H setup. Its a mild setup for a lil get up and go. For what you want, you need to start by working on the internals for the motor and head. Try searching for ALL MOTOR D16 on google.

3. HAZARDOUScivic

thanks i thought about throwing new cam+gears but i just thought with the money ill spen on that i can use for swap i just dont know what swap to go with

4. cvcrcr99

cvcrcr99 New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

You have one header, and one cam gear. An upgraded cam will require tuning. If you have the extra money for it, go for it. Don't expect much more than 10-15 hp gain from the cam though.

How much money do you have to spend? How much power are you looking to get when your done with your car?

5. io_303

io_303 NIFOC Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

If you have done IHE and dont want a turbo, I would go with cams and a 50 shot with a little tune. You will notice a huge difference.

6. whoopnip

whoopnip Some Delicious Guy Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Props for someone with the same wheels as me. ;)

The only way* to make a Civic fast is forced induction or a swap. :what:

* You could have a fast N/A Y8 Civic, but that'd be expensive and difficult compared to the other options. And it's still not going to be nearly as fast as forced induction or a swap.

7. got traction

got traction i rock the sohc Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

all motor is the expensive way to go slow

with that said. i guess you could do a high comp single cam...although it wouldnt be worth the time/money.

8. Kensai

Kensai ♪♫♪♫♪~ Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

Well you can get hondata and go get the car tuned. It will probably get you around ~10whp and a little better gas mileage, but that's pretty much as fast as it's going to get without boost or internal engine mods.

9. HAZARDOUScivic

thanks im just gonna save some money and when taxes come ill get a swap im thinking ls/v or h22?

10. Kensai

Kensai ♪♫♪♫♪~ Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

Ls/vtec!

11. Esotericimage

Esotericimage Try GOOGLE 1st Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

Boost SOHC > swap

12. whoopnip

whoopnip Some Delicious Guy Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

:word: He said he doesn't want to boost, but it's still the best overall option.

I love how every single "I want my car faster" thread ends up like this. It's just the right answer.

13. revolver5446

revolver5446 New Member 5+ Year Member

All these threads drive me nuts! Boost dude! Nuf said. Can't do jack with a Sohc Engine with out boost!
    Cheap way... Attach a leaf blower to your intake and put it on full blast should give like 200hp minimum...:shock:

14. Szady

Szady D-Series Master Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

Um...no. A leaf blower wont do anything. The engine itself has more vacuum than a leaf blower can blow, so it'll just restrict the engine more than anything else.

15. io_303

io_303 NIFOC Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

I still say slap a bottle on it.

16. Esotericimage

Esotericimage Try GOOGLE 1st Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

:word: 600 bucks and youll have a fastER civic, for how long, nobody knows!

17. HAZARDOUScivic

leaf blower lol ya tripping too mouch youtube.......ls/v

18. bmx4life54321

bmx4life54321 saving neglected honda 5+ Year Member

if you know what your doing and install the nitrous right and get the proper plugs you dont have to worry about blowing it up. best $350 bucks you'll spend!! and get a bottle warmer and dont use the WOT if the kit comes with it

19. oc_civic

oc_civic .................... Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

THIS...

[/thread]

20. ohsnapzitzmeng

ohsnapzitzmeng New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

lmao with the picture, yes theres alot of newbies here and i hate these threads also. swap, fawk the nos it blows literally