D16Y8 crankshaft pulley bolt?

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hi guys
My timing belt is due and i have had ago at this bolt and its solid, got heat on it still stuck it’s been off before around about 70k its now showing nearly 130k. Could anybody give me some advice or tips on how i now go about this?
Thanks in advance!

JCCLARK

The Painter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Most impact wrenches won't work, believe me, I've tried some of the best ones.
First you need the special tool to keep the pulley from moving, I got mine off Ebay.
I install that and lay it on a milk crate with a board on top to keep
the tool and pulley from turning. It has to be solid support.
Then I take a socket with a 3/4" drive and breaker bar and a 1" pipe about 5' long on that.
And it takes all that to break it loose.Tthey are a real son of a b#%&* to break loose.
I always think the bolt is going to break first, but so far this has worked for me.
Every Honda I've worked on has been like that for the balancer pulley.
Good luck:cool:

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
And no, an impact wrench won't do it! You have to have dead pressure to pressure, and that will just bump it in essence.... That may not be the best way to explain it but oh well.........

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Get a chain wrench. Easier then spending $30 on a special tool. Get a old rag, shirt, peice of a belt, ect and wrap it around the pulley (I use the p/s part) and wrap the chain wrench around it. If you do it right, you can use a breaker bar and turn it, so the chain wrench is pushing agianst the frame of the car, so you can use all your strength on the breaker bar. 130ft lbs (or is it 180ft lbs?) of torque dosent seam like alot, until you're lying under a car.

danielwd

5+ Year Member
Hi guys
My timing belt is due and i have had ago at this bolt and its solid, got heat on it still stuck it’s been off before around about 70k its now showing nearly 130k. Could anybody give me some advice or tips on how i now go about this?
Thanks in advance!
Holy crap! I just accomplished this task yesterday and it was a beast. I first tried with a small breaker bar and it was a joke. Then I graduated to a larger breaker bar that I paid $30 for - that was a joke. Then I hit it with the impact for a minute - that was a joke which I knew it would be. So then I finally got PISSED and used one of my friend's sledgehammer as a cheater bar with a handle of very solid steel but the handle was hollow. I placed the largest breaker bar I had coupled with the smallest socket extention to preserve torque and placed the breaker bar into the hollow sledge hammer while the sledge was positioned upwards. Another important thing I invented on the fly was a chain wrench used on the first notch of the cam pulley, and I trapped the chain wrench up against the frame of the car. Then it was PUSH time. I pushed as hard as I could on the sledge portion of the cheater bar (sledge hammer), and the weight of the sledge hammer did most of the work. I finally broke that dang bolt. It was a freakin' ordeal.

That was the worst part of changing the timing belt, water pump, and all the other belts.

Devin Godard

5+ Year Member
Ya i ended up gettin mine off, i tryed using the strap around the pulley no luck, so i took the tranny off and put a pry bar in the fly wheel and against one of the tranny bolts i put back in it worked perfect!!!

96civic808

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Go to Amazon.com I got mine for 30 bucks with shipping. http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648796-Crankcase-Pulley-Removal/dp/B0000TMLWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1245732794&sr=8-1 Works perfect. When I did mine without this tool, it was a b***h, bent a 4ft breaker bar, I was like WTF?!??! Anyways... WE ended up using some jerry rigged s**t together and got it lose, then I bought this for future projects! Well worth it! GL
what else you needed besides this tool?

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
is this a reverse thread or anything daft like that?

JCCLARK

The Painter
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
No, it's regular threads.
That bolt tightens on its own over time,
it takes more than 400 ft/lbs to break it loose

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeh did it. i lent a a chain locking tool from a friend to do this. job done =)