D16Y8 Manual Swap + Turbo or B18 With 5-Spd Tranny

• Manual Swap + Turbo

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • B18 with 5-spd Tranny

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters

lubuis

Respected
The D16Y8 has about 170,o00 miles on it. I don't know if that will be good enough to turbo it on stock internals. I could also get a B18 with a 5-Spd tranny for about $1,500 on ebay.
What do you guys think?

jackdog1

The D16Y8 has about 170,o00 miles on it. I don't know if that will be good enough to turbo it on stock internals. I could also get a B18 with a 5-Spd tranny for about $1,500 on ebay.
What do you guys think?
From what I've heard, trying to add a turbo to a stock D16Y8 is a bad idea (you run the risk of seriously damaging your engine)

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
D16 turbo all the way, I have turboed my 96 d16y5 at 175xxx and it made it to 210xxx before I got rear ended, made 166whp 149tq at 5000ft elevation and never gave me any problems ( I owned it since 110,000 and took car of it well). Also turbo my 99 d16y8 179xxx (currently at 192xxx) and made 222whp 177tq same turbo kit more boost but more problems with the tune (tuner sucked). Right now only issue is I think my turbo has blown seals, it smokes on high rpm decel and has at least 50xxx miles on it from me and I bought it used.

Do your research on tuners and if this is your only car and it's your dd you might not want to do it.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
D16 turbo all the way, I have turboed my 96 d16y5 at 175xxx and it made it to 210xxx before I got rear ended, made 166whp 149tq at 5000ft elevation and never gave me any problems ( I owned it since 110,000 and took car of it well). Also turbo my 99 d16y8 179xxx (currently at 192xxx) and made 222whp 177tq same turbo kit more boost but more problems with the tune (tuner sucked). Right now only issue is I think my turbo has blown seals, it smokes on high rpm decel and has at least 50xxx miles on it from me and I bought it used.

Do your research on tuners and if this is your only car and it's your dd you might not want to do it.
you should check your turbine side housing, or you can try and clean the oil drain port in the turbo a bit

lubuis

Respected

What do you think about me rebuilding the engine and buying eagle rods/viatara pistons and then going turbo? You think it would last longer and make around 200-300whp?

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
What do you think about me rebuilding the engine and buying eagle rods/viatara pistons and then going turbo? You think it would last longer and make around 200-300whp?
going turbo cost a lot more then doing the swap. if you intend on building it. your internals and clutch will take up most of your budget, you'll need to upgrade the fuel pump and fuel injectors. then you'll need a chip ecu or standalone and get it tuned all the additional hardware can cost you good amount of money depending. but the alternate could also be thta you can do the ls swap and just boost that. you can make 400-450 hp on stock block.

lubuis

Respected
going turbo cost a lot more then doing the swap. if you intend on building it. your internals and clutch will take up most of your budget, you'll need to upgrade the fuel pump and fuel injectors. then you'll need a chip ecu or standalone and get it tuned all the additional hardware can cost you good amount of money depending. but the alternate could also be thta you can do the ls swap and just boost that. you can make 400-450 hp on stock block.
I have a really tight budget. The most that I can spend is around 3k. The B18C (The best option) is what I was looking to get, but the B18C (including all the necessary parts) would be around 3k or over. I have a buddy that works at Honda and he has done maintenance and tune ups on my car for cheap and he can do all the labor for about half the price mechanics would charge. I could get him to do a manual swap for my D16Y8 and an engine rebuild with eagle rods/viatara pistons combo for a lot less than 3k. Then I could get slap on a turbo later with the extra spending cash. The B18C is or LS VTEC swap is preferrable, but it is the budget that is the limiting factor

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
I have a really tight budget. The most that I can spend is around 3k. The B18C (The best option) is what I was looking to get, but the B18C (including all the necessary parts) would be around 3k or over. I have a buddy that works at Honda and he has done maintenance and tune ups on my car for cheap and he can do all the labor for about half the price mechanics would charge. I could get him to do a manual swap for my D16Y8 and an engine rebuild with eagle rods/viatara pistons combo for a lot less than 3k. Then I could get slap on a turbo later with the extra spending cash. The B18C is or LS VTEC swap is preferrable, but it is the budget that is the limiting factor
you can always piece to together its much cheaper that way around me you can pick up a ls short block complete in good condition for around 250-300$ and a b16 head or gsr head for about 400-450$ thats only 750 in total and you already have a lsv. check online check your local listing for motors that what i do all the time i don't bother going to engine depot unless it was for a motor that wasn't available here in the states. d series usually require a lot more work then any other motor to make any decent power all motor or FI evenually your gonna want more power especially if you turbo your d16 and is making around 250-280hp and you end up getting used to it really quickly. but you can go with the route and get internals for the d16 but you won't make as much power off the batt like other motor does. you gotta look at everything you need and/want then you check for priceing on the parts and that how you would figure

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Eagles and vitaras are going to give you s**t compression and make the car no fun to drive normally, p2p0.com has custom lent rods made for vitaras to keep your compression around 9:1 like stock and is cheaper than eagle rods. The reliability isn't in the build really, it's more in the tune. I mean most of it is in the tune, if your timing is slightly off and you detonate at the wrong time you will bend a rod, so yes forged rods will help but a good tune will be cheaper and easier and I've seen a few guys push stock d16 to 275-300hp.

A good turbo setup just for the kit will run about 2500$ after shipping then you need an ecu and tuning software and a tune, neptune software package is 400$ plus a chipped ecu is 150$ and a conversion harness 70$ and then your looking at 200$ (minimum) for a tune. You can skip the 400$ for neptune but I don't recommend the free non supported crome software. None of that includes the price of motor internals but p2p0 rods and vitaras run like 550$ I think then you have to pay your friend to install them.

lubuis

Respected
Now that I think of it, going turbo will require a LOT of maintenance to keep up and especially for the tuning costs. I think I will go for an engine swap instead. I found a few K20A's with transmissions that run around the same price range as B18C's with GSR Trannys. Thank you all a lot for the help and suggestions.

So for the summer I will be going for a K20A swap. I hope this will be a fun project!

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Now that I think of it, going turbo will require a LOT of maintenance to keep up and especially for the tuning costs. I think I will go for an engine swap instead. I found a few K20A's with transmissions that run around the same price range as B18C's with GSR Trannys. Thank you all a lot for the help and suggestions.

So for the summer I will be going for a K20A swap. I hope this will be a fun project!
nice

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i hope you have researched everything you need to buy for a k swap into an 96-00 chassis, its going to cost you more than a turbo setup 90% of the time unless you get used parts or find good ass deals.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
i hope you have researched everything you need to buy for a k swap into an 96-00 chassis, its going to cost you more than a turbo setup 90% of the time unless you get used parts or find good ass deals.
he'll find out soon enough lol

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
No one mentioned the goals for the car or a realistic budget. Mechanical skill level? Financial situation? Is this car your daily or a toy?
Very important info to have when deciding on what to do.

lubuis

Respected
I did some research and its gonna cost me around $5k-10k. It is also my daily. I found a complete swap for $4k on hmotorsonline.com. My original goals were around 200-300whp. I have a buddy that's been working with Honda's for his whole life and he is going to help me with this swap.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
I did some research and its gonna cost me around $5k-10k. It is also my daily. I found a complete swap for $4k on hmotorsonline.com. My original goals were around 200-300whp. I have a buddy that's been working with Honda's for his whole life and he is going to help me with this swap.
well it seems you got everything worked out

9E4G

I have a d16y7 tuned and ready for a turbo but I heard they aren't good to take it, not from what I researched but from someone I know.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Don't listen to your buddy, turbo is fine. Why do you think oem manufacturers put turbos on if it's bad for the motor?