D16Y8 P0505 Code

Darkmyst

5+ Year Member
hello and thank you all in advance that try to help.

I have a 99 Honda Civic EX 5 speed, for about the past 3 months it has been tossing the P0505 code "Idle Air System Malfunction" at random intervals in regards to mileage and amount of time since I have "thought" I resolved the issue. Of course it acts like it is rabbiting and idling randomly between 800-1500 rpm.

I have taken off the IACV and cleaned it thoroughly and replaced it still getting the code after it has been cleared when the part was replaced and also when i cleaned it, I have a modified short ram intake and have replaced the TPS sensor as well.

I have checked for a vaccuum systems leak thoroughly and it has none, my next step to my best knowledge is replacing the Throttle Body, which through Honda according to them this is their cheapest throttle body at a whopping 400 dollars before tax.

I have checked with local parts distributors such as o''reilly''s, advanced auto parts, and autozone. They all can get me either Holly or Edelbrock for about 365.00 USD The Holly makes you use stock components such as your TPS and MAFS and costs about 310.00 USD.

The Edelbrock comes with a TPS designed for the car and has a 90mm Port with an adapter for my intake to connect to. Straight from Edelbrock cost to me w/ shipping and handling is about 340.00 USD to my doorstep.

I was wondering if there is something I am overlooking before I spend this much on my charge card and if there is an opinion of one or the other to go with as I have heard of both manufacturers and feel that it would be better to upgrade now since I plan to do more in the future instead of going with standard OEM Honda throttle body.

Also, for the record I have tried adjusting my throttle cable while idled to lower it but doesn''t seem to affect it as well as back the screw out of the air port on the backside of the throttle body to have it stop the error code for 3-6 days then the code comes back which is what is leading me to believe its the throttle body starting to get clogged even though it has been cleaned.

Any input or thoughts in regards to this matter are greatly appreciated and I will try my best to answer any other questions.

~Darkmyst~

dookiehatch

5+ Year Member
hey man, i just got done fixing the same problen on my 97 civic.......this was the first time this happened to me with a civic, i had a few accords that did it and it was an easy fix....anyways...this is how i fixed the civic:

cleaned the entire throttle body with carb cleaner, took off iac valve, took off the tps sensor, took all the sensors and shitt off, cleaned them real good, thani tightened the idle screw in all the way...didint help much, i think my problem was that i replaced my broken radiator and when i replaced it it must of got air in the system, i guess when u get air in the cooling system it makes bubbles and messes with your idle somehow, i guess bubbles are cooler than the hot coolant and it never gets an accurate reading on your temperature sensor so it goes up and down, try flushin and refilling your coolant, hope it helps man.

dookiehatch

5+ Year Member
hey man, i just got done fixing the same problen on my 97 civic.......this was the first time this happened to me with a civic, i had a few accords that did it and it was an easy fix....anyways...this is how i fixed the civic:

cleaned the entire throttle body with carb cleaner, took off iac valve, took off the tps sensor, took all the sensors and shitt off, cleaned them real good, thani tightened the idle screw in all the way...didint help much, i think my problem was that i replaced my broken radiator and when i replaced it it must of got air in the system, i guess when u get air in the cooling system it makes bubbles and messes with your idle somehow, i guess bubbles are cooler than the hot coolant and it never gets an accurate reading on your temperature sensor so it goes up and down, try flushin and refilling your coolant, hope it helps man.

Darkmyst

5+ Year Member

Actually was at advanced autoparts yesterday got all the cleaners again, figured one more go around with cleaning the system wouldn't hurt.

Found out the tank that I proposed to be the overflow tank for the coolant is not only the overflow but also a "reserve" that the system pulls from and if it goes empty same effect that you had happens to it.

So cleaned everything again reset my idle screw, and readjusted my throttle cable. Filled the overflow coolant tank to max line and reset the computer. Last time i found a fix for the light it stayed off for a month, so now to see how long this goes and if it works then I have to assume that was the issue.

Thanks for your input would of saved me a trip to advanced auto parts if i came here and read first I guess lol.

~Darkmyst~