D16Y8 PCV Valve Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Members have posted that the valve can snap during removal, although they've been informed that it poses no real issue. Please see page 2 for more information. Do this at your own risk!

Okay, I know a lot of people have been asking about this and I said that I would have done this about 2 months ago, but I kept getting sidetracked and what not. So here it is finally, so no more threads about this!
First of all, I learned how to do this from gabebauman's thread, so I dont entirely take credit for this: http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=6897&highlight=pcv+valve
so if you would have searched, you should have found this before, right?
Secondly, for you 5th generation owners, the PCV valve is located elsewhere. You can find this here by handlebarsfsr:
http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showthread.php?t=59114&highlight=pcv+valve

One thing you should know is that you have to get the right PCV valve for you car since they're made specifically for it. Anything else and it can cause problems. You can get these cheaply (about $2-$3) from your local autostore or spend about $20 bucks on one from Honda. Your call.

Now onwards!
Parts needed:
Jack and Jack Stands: Saftey First!
PCV Valve
Flat head screwdriver
Needle Nose Pliers

The first step is locating where it is. It is highly recommended that you change your oil first, as you'll see in a moment. But for those who don't want to, good luck lol. The PCV valve is located right above the oil filter (in this picture, it's where the filter should be).

The second step is removing the valve. Here is where you'll need to get the flat head. Do not remove the clamp yet! You'll do that last, trust me. Okay, so locate the hose that's connected to the PCV Valve. Now, just pull on it and it should get stuck; leaving a gap between the edge of the PCV Valve and the black box. Take the flat head screw driver and wedge it between the valve and the black box. You should be able to pop it out with ease.

The third step is to get out from under your car and look under your hood. The hose to the PCV Valve is located in the middle of the intake mani. Pull this out.

Voila!

The fourth step is to unclamp the valve with your needle nose pliers. Shouldn't be too hard without a picture right? Now, get your new PCV Valve and shove it back in; then clamp it.
New PCV Valve from Honda yo:

Here it is out of the package:

Okay, the last steps are to basically do the reverse of what I just said, so I figured you didn't need pictures for that. Ahh the beauty of the internet. And of course to put your filter back on and oil back in and etc. Quick and easy right? Well, I think this should be everything, if there's anything I'm missing, just post it up and I'll add it on. Good luck everyone and of course, always be safe when your under your car!

Ahh, now marvel at my masterpiece :lol: , just kidding. This is my one little contribution to clubcivic for all the help and info I've received ;) .

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea i was going to do the same thing for a write up but i forgot to get the camera cause i did my pcv valve last week thursday when changing oil for winter times...

good write up tho

dchec

5+ Year Member
how do u know ur pcv valve needs to be changed? what are the symptoms?

J32a2OwnsU

Resident Old Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Where is the article.. all I see are replies.........................

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dchec said:
how do u know ur pcv valve needs to be changed? what are the symptoms?
if you haven't changed yours yet, then i would recommend changing it the next time you do an oil change. some symptoms would be "bad gas mileage, low idle, and stalling" -gabebauman. but if you really want to know if it's bad, you have to shake it to see if it rattles or not..if it doesn't replace it, although if you're already doing that then just replace it anyways lol.

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
MySiIzFaster said:
hmm...that's wierd, i still see it :what:...

dchec

5+ Year Member
cool..thanks for the info .i'll be sure to change it next oil change...i just did on so it probably wont be for another 30r 4months or so when it gets warmer outside...but i will definitely change it.....

2kstreetcivic

Runnin to Redline
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I did a PCV valve change about 2 weeks ago and my car runs SOOO much smoother and I am getting better MPG.....its a MUST do if you have never done it...you can do it without taking the oil filter off, I did it that way, but its frustrating and takes a little longer...gotta have the right angles...

EXSpeedAddict

POWERTHIRST!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
MySiIzFaster said:
hit the view article button above the first comment.

nightryder99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
did mine today..with the oil change for less hassles in finding angles plus i was due
well didnt notice anything about smoothness ..im guessing it was still decent but I've heard that its good to change it after 60 000 km
it was a b***h to remove the rubber was so dry that it receded on the plastic hose ... a chunk broke the pcv broke before i got to remove it
other than that ..wtv is good for the engine...
Bacardi cola
Do it ... Just Do it

Rayden

All Stock....For Now.
5+ Year Member
Ok maybe its just me, but if you replaced the valve from the hose on the Intake...what was the point of going under the car with the flathead...Maybe I missed something. I dont quite understand the first couple of steps. ??

Wolfy

Your mom's boyfriend
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Holy thread resurrection, but thanks anyway, I was eventually going to ask someone about this... relating to the stalling symptom, if you have an auto, instead of stalling out, will it just hesitate when you step on the gas? Sometimes mine feels like that.

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Rayden said:
Ok maybe its just me, but if you replaced the valve from the hose on the Intake...what was the point of going under the car with the flathead...Maybe I missed something. I dont quite understand the first couple of steps. ??
well, first the hose is connected to the intake manifold. the valve is under the intake manifold, not connected to the intake. if you don't understand the first few steps, you should go try to pull out the pcv valve with out getting under the car; you'll see why ;). it's hard to reach under there and the valve sort of snags when you pull on it.

Wolfy said:
Holy thread resurrection, but thanks anyway, I was eventually going to ask someone about this... relating to the stalling symptom, if you have an auto, instead of stalling out, will it just hesitate when you step on the gas? Sometimes mine feels like that.
I'm not sure...are you misfiring? bump for an answer though...but it might be easier if you made a thread about it.

Wolfy

Your mom's boyfriend
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well I just replaced mine with a $2 autozone valve... God DAMN what a difference. Thanks for the write up :thumbs up

Oh and what kind of pussy needs a screwdriver to pry it out... I pulled that SOB out with the oil filter still in :lol:

oc_civic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Wolfy said:
Well I just replaced mine with a $2 autozone valve... God DAMN what a difference. Thanks for the write up :thumbs up
agreed cant believe the difference!

UgP

Addicted to clubcivic.com
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hate to do this but I just gotta. Is there a difference in changing the PCV valve on a Y7 compared to a Y8? :what: Are they located in the same place? Remember Y7 has the airbox on top and not the IM the Y8 has... (*simple answer would suffice no judgements or opinions please.. thanks!)

rsboy

5+ Year Member
Hate to do this but I just gotta. Is there a difference in changing the PCV valve on a Y7 compared to a Y8? :what: Are they located in the same place? Remember Y7 has the airbox on top and not the IM the Y8 has... (*simple answer would suffice no judgements or opinions please.. thanks!)
I know this is kind of an old thread, but I wanted to reply for the D16Y7 owners.

I replaced the PCV valve on the Civic DX when I changed my oil. It was much easier get to the PCV valve from under the car, once you remove the oil filter. Taking the filter off will give you a better access to the pcv valve from under the car.
If you have normal size hands, you will NOT be able to access the pcv valve from the top without removing the whole airbox and probably some other things. Believe me, i tried and there was just no way to get my hand in there to pull out the hose attached to the pcv valve. Also, I didn't want to take off the airbox and the other parts. That would have been much more of a PITA.

You wil need needle nose pliers for sure and ALOT of patience. Having the service manual helps alot! At least it will give you an idea of where the pcv valve is located. It is not the same as the D16Y8 location, ours is under the fuel rail and the airbox. The D16Y7 valve is different as well... it's L shaped and not straight as pictured in the first posts.

Most of the time you will spend trying to take the old pcv off and putting the new one back on. There are a few DIY's on other civic forums and on here, just search, I'm too lazy to find them now. :lol:

YoungKadafi

Redundant security
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it takes me less than 45 seconds to change my PCV valve on my D16y8. It takes me longer to pop my hood. You should be able to easily access it without taking the oil filter off. Reach around the right side of the IM, locate the hose and pull. Put on new valve, route and insert.

Im the PCV master, taken apart almost every honda pcv valve out there. Honestly it really doesnt get dirty that fast like I thought. I used to change it every 3k miles, but honestly its pretty hard to gunk one up. You should be able to clean it out with petrol, since its just a calibrated valve. The springs do wear after a while.

I assembled a catch can where the PCV is after the can, so now it takes less than 10 seconds to swap in a new PCV valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.