D16y8 valve adjustment

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I need to do a valve adjustment for my car. I was going to have someone else do it but I think $50 bucks is to much for something as simple as this. So I'm doing it my self. My only concern is how critical is it tightening the 10mm nut? I heard 14lbs but in most DIY's they just say not to over tighten the nut. I know 14 can be done by hand and its not a lot of torque. I also thought of the idea of marking where the nut is and just bringing it to the mark when tightening? I also know people say you need to have a feel for the feeler gauge, well I work in a machine shop so I use .001 feeler to touch off my tools all the time so I'm not worried about that. I know the engine has to be below 100F. Any advice is welcome.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
While it's not difficult by any means, $50 isn't even a tank of gas or an oil change in some places. I'd say pay the chump change, grab a beer, and relax for a bit :thumbs up

To answer your question though, improper torquing is probably one of the first causes of engine failure after a rebuild. Then you have valve play (lifter tick) if it's too loose which sounds like balls in your engine bay (not the good kind of balls either) or you have over torque. Neither of which allow for full range of motion during the intake or exhaust stroke depending on which valve/s have issues. In short, do it right the first time and enjoy a happy car. Or.. Pay the $50 and enjoy a happy car AND a beer. WIN WIN!!

/

Turbo_Freak

BAMF
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Just do it yourself. The nut is very fragile. Don't over tighten the nut or it will break. That's what happened to me.

RealRabbit

Registered VIP
Just be safe and use a torque wrench. If you don't have one use the 50 you would have spent on a new wrench. Sure money still spent but it's a good investment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

203CT

Slow But Not Low
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Tackled it myself I just finish. Go some help from a 30+yr mechanic so I'm confident it's right. Plus he did the adjustment on my last car.