d16z6 rebuild or swap

ej1loverr

hey guys my z6 is burning oil, I assume the piston rings are fried since i see blue smoke everytime i step on the gas.

I was thinking about rebuilding the block and needed suggestions on what parts to get; Even though i have some knowledge on these motors I've actually never taken one of these apart, any suggestions on a good set up (Pistons, rods, piston rings, bearings?) and tips, would be greatly appreciated

or would it be a better idea to just get like a b16/18 or something instead of going through the d16 rebuild process?

thanks

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
have you considered the possibility that it could also be your valve seals? so it could be the head...

swap in a b-series if you can afford it. its a nice opportunity to get a lower-mileage motor in there with more hp/tq

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was thinking about rebuilding the block or would it be a better idea to just get like a b16/18 or something instead of going through the d16 rebuild process?
I think you would be farther ahead cost wise with a rebuild of the D.

You'll get more power with a b series, but:
B swap requires b series motor, b series transmission, wiring mods, and mounts which all cost $, along with any other misc things you may need to replace or whatnot.
Also, just because you swap in another motor, most of the time, you don't REALLY know how many miles are on it and how well it was taken care of.
Then you could be in the same boat again.

Comes down to what YOU can realistically afford to do.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1st off, what have you even done to see WHY the car is blowing smoke? Have you checked anything at all, or are you just reading articles/going off what others say? While researching is fantastic(i applaud you), you won't really know until you open it up.

Open it up, find the issues, do your homework, then come back with questions. Just my .02.

Failsafe88

gt CasaNova
Registered VIP
I think you would be farther ahead cost wise with a rebuild of the D.

You'll get more power with a b series, but:
B swap requires b series motor, b series transmission, wiring mods, and mounts which all cost $, along with any other misc things you may need to replace or whatnot.
Also, just because you swap in another motor, most of the time, you don't REALLY know how many miles are on it and how well it was taken care of.
Then you could be in the same boat again.

Comes down to what YOU can realistically afford to do.
:like:

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
1st off, what have you even done to see WHY the car is blowing smoke? Have you checked anything at all, or are you just reading articles/going off what others say? While researching is fantastic(i applaud you), you won't really know until you open it up.

Open it up, find the issues, do your homework, then come back with questions. Just my .02.
^^This. Do a compression test.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^This. Do a compression test.
if compression test results are bad, then follow up with a leakdown test. that will tell you the source of the problem

Trekk

Registered VIP
I'd just rebuild it, but, I'd guess it to run between $600-1000 depending on what all you want done. To have a mechine shop check and clean everything, and do a valve job/ seals. Then buy bearings, oil pump, water pump, timing belt & related parts, if you plan to boost or spray do rods and pistons, if not mil the head a little. Then factor in all the gaskets, rings and I'd do a clutch at the same time.

Or you could just fix only the problem you have right now for lots less and hope the other parts hold out a while

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'd just rebuild it, but, I'd guess it to run between $600-1000 depending on what all you want done. To have a mechine shop check and clean everything, and do a valve job/ seals. Then buy bearings, oil pump, water pump, timing belt & related parts, if you plan to boost or spray do rods and pistons, if not mil the head a little. Then factor in all the gaskets, rings and I'd do a clutch at the same time.

Or you could just fix only the problem you have right now for lots less and hope the other parts hold out a while
That's pretty steep.
My water pump, timing belt, and tensioner was only $79, and that was a Gates kit. Gasket kit was $72. Exedy stage 1 clutch kit including pressure plate was only $112. Granted this is all for a 96-2000 Dseries, and not all prices were quoted; rebuilding isn't near as costly as everyone thinks unless you get ripped off.

I agree w/ Trekk's last statement. Find the issue and fix THAT issue...then move on.

Trekk

Registered VIP
The parts aren't so much if you dont count in a clutch and flywheel, but when you add things like hot tanking, milling the heads, valve job, honing the block, balancing, polishing the crank journals ect ect it just depends how far you want to go.

Most people don't go as far as I do in a build.

emerican

Registered VIP
Agree with others above do some tests on it and try to find out exactly whats wrong.
Then if it does need a serious rebuild figure out what your goals are.
If your happy with the power you will make with the rebuilt z6 with whatever extras port polish different pistons rods etc whatever you decide then just rebuild it. if you want more power then do a swap, but if i where you id just rebuild the z6 and build it, because depending on what b series motor you swap in you may have close to the same power depending on what you plan on doing to the z6 and you dont know if the b series needs to rebuilt or other maintence done to it as soon as you get it.
so just figure out your goals then price everything and compare them the cost of rebuilding and or building the current z6 and the cost of swapping in a b series factoring in maitnce that may need to be done and the small misc stuff youll almost always need in swaps.
in the end comes down to what you want and how much you want to spend. You could just fix whatever is wrong with it or rebuild it all with just oem spec parts and have a rebuilt stock z6 or go all out on a engine or head build on it thats up to you.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
id see whats wrong first ,

imo id keep the z6, its a bullet proof motor that will last damn near forever, its my fav honda motor by far.

Puma

Has no filter
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
id see whats wrong first ,

imo id keep the z6, its a bullet proof motor that will last damn near forever, its my fav honda motor by far.
This. They're freakin' tanks with a lot of room to play. I'm so happy I discovered I have a z6 head and not a y8.

i just spent bout 400 on my z6 rebuild. i replaced, main bearings, rod bearings, water pump, oil pump seal, rear main seal, thrust bearing, piston rings, head gastket, inake gasket , exhaust gasket, valve seals. juts buy timing belt kit, heagasket kit and your rings & bearings while at it. bout 250$ . i spent all that on mines cuz i wanted it fresh. or pick yourself up an ls that runs for the 4$ instead.