D16Z6 Rebuild Thread

importedTuna

Extreme User
5+ Year Member
D16Z6 Rebuild Thread + snoob's Bay Tuck

So a little while ago, my friend snoob and I swapped a d15b vtec into his car, and the z6 that was in the way of that had to come out. After pulling the rod and bearing (w/piston) that was causing it to knock, we let it sit, and then busted the head off a month or two later, then the block, etc.

The process avalanched and completely became a full-scale rebuild and we have everything figured out save the crank and the pistons/rods. The crank is somewhat scored from the knocking rod/bearing, and may need to be machined along with acquiring an oversized bearing, and probably y8 pistons/rods or perhaps some tuner toy rods. Pictures of the crank are coming, along with pictures of the DIY port & polish job we did.

Hopefully I can put this in a 5g hatch soon, as long as the world's supply doesn't run dry.

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:thumbup:

snoob

9k RPM and 1+ Lateral G
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i wish we were closer to done :O we need a tripod.

Boricuanology

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
good luck man with your engine, Im waiting myself for my engine to come from the machine shop so that I can start the build up.

FRODO

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Cool you building for boost?

chiliredDX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
looks good so far. im dropping a z6 into mine here in a few weeks.

what pistons/rods you looking at?

blacknmild874

b00st s00n!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
may i suggest the Vitara Pistons and Tuner Toys rods set up?

the vitaras have been known to hold 425 so far. which is pretty awesome since you can pick them up for under 150 shipped for pistons and rings.

good luck and have fun with the build!

Boricuanology

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what color is that on your cylinder head cover? thats what I'm gonna be using, Vitara piston from FJT and eagle rods from summit racing, which they price match. Just waiting for my damm block to come, I hate waiting.

importedTuna

Extreme User
5+ Year Member
Ehh if I have the money I'll go with the Tuner Toy / Vitara setup; it's most definitely what i want. I'll probably be limited to getting rods and some y8 pistons for the moment, which is fine. Though boost is the goal, I'll probably run it high-comp NA for a good long while, that is, when it gets dropped in something.

The paint on the valve cover is Cast Iron - it's just the 500 degree-rated engine enamel from advance auto, but it looks real beast. The block and head are painted some 1200 degree aluminum color...I believe it's just called Aluminum haha.

Seeing this thing in the garage makes me think we're a little ricier than I'd like to admit...I mean jesus...we painted it billet

snoob

9k RPM and 1+ Lateral G
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
importedTuna said:
I mean jesus...we painted it billet
it IS BILLIT

the paint doesn't look bad ask anyone, and it'll dull atlittle when warmed to a vtec temperature :O

we need to get rear shock bushings so we can finish that kids lowering springs today.

ryan89crx

Spoolin single cam!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
look at the color of the oil that was in there! no wonder that bearing spun...

good job on the rebuild :thumbs up

Chris.

Stickin' it to the man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dood you left me out of that engine swap..!! its ok tho im not important...lol

all in all it looks almost brand new

snoob

9k RPM and 1+ Lateral G
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ryan89crx said:
look at the color of the oil that was in there! no wonder that bearing spun...

good job on the rebuild :thumbs up

tell me about it :( i bought it 190k and drove that motor to 210k. its safe to say that the thing has been pushed hard its whole life ;)

we took the crank into the machine shop today, when we walked in the smell of domestic vehicles just filled the air, as we cradled our baby d series crank to a man named chad, who said he'd take a look at it and call us back on a price later in the day.

snoob

9k RPM and 1+ Lateral G
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Snake_Shit said:
dood you left me out of that engine swap..!! its ok tho im not important...lol

all in all it looks almost brand new

aww you were in our hearts most of the time... well actually we imagined you standing there shaking your head at the sloppy job we're doing ;)

oh yeah and we used my brother and a wrench to push down the valve springs... lol at least it worked, gotta mod a valve spring compressor eventually.

right now we're attempting a wire tuck on the passenger side of my engine bay, however we don't know how long it will be until we give up, and i doubt its going to look amazing. there will also be some painting, because the previous owner thought he'd up the value of the car by touching up the look of the engine bay with a fresh coat of black spray paint.

chiliredDX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
geeze...i wish i would have known about the vitara pistons. i went with some custom made JE Pistons.

nice job so far.

importedTuna

Extreme User
5+ Year Member
Snoob is hijacking my thread.

This thread is being changed to make room for snoob's bay pictures, so here's what's going on.

We've painted both strut towers/surrounding area as well as the firewall, and a couple other things, but the pictures of the bay only show the passenger side done, so watch out for more pics soon of the completed bay.

We're planning on taking the engine out for cleaning and parts installation, so it'll get better.

Like brother and sister:

Before spraying the right strut tower.

After..

Christian and I trying to get his boost/vacuum leak tester up and running...Matt's bay is quite spacious indeed.

snoob

9k RPM and 1+ Lateral G
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the first after shot is a before shot joe :O

we have the firewall and the other tower cleaned up and finished now, get pictures as soon as i can get some AA batteries.