D17A1 swap into EJ6 Coupe

That_Guy92

Ok before you guys start shiit talking let me inform you on my situation.
so I have a 98 civic coupe, auto d16y7
I was planning on doing a auto - manual conversion
i found a donor car for $600 (98 civic ex 5spd)
BUT***
reason i ask for this motor is because thnx too my uncle not payin off his loan...i pretty much have a free car sitting in my backyard. (2001 civic dx coupe, 5sp, D17a1)
So i was just wondering if anybody has had any experience doing this kinda swap?
parts needed?
this is strictly just to get the car running on a 5spd conversion till i save for a better swap.
i have done my research but no luck on what im trying to do.
thnx in advance.
let the shiit tlkng begin. haha

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
From the different forums I searched looks like it has turned into a common swap for D17's. May have to do some manipulating of the ths shift linkage however.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Are you trying to swap the D17 into your 98 coupe? Not worth it, IMO. It's more work, and that motor sucks. I'd use the motor from the donor car assuming it's in good shape.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i have done my research but no luck on what im trying to do.
Because this is a flat out waste of money swap and not worth the work.
Buy the donor car for $600, use that swap for your '98.
Keep the '01 Dx coupe and drive that, use that as an extra car while you swap your '98.
Much easier, most cost effective and practical option.

That_Guy92

Thanks guys yea i get you.
I have my daily car so no problem there when the civic is getting worked on.
So how about this?
Since im just going for the auto - manual conversion first. Can i just use the tranny off the d17a1 to the d16y7 for the conversion?

Also the '01 civic has no title. My uncle just ditched it cuz he never payed his title loan. So im just trynna get some free parts off of it.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Since im just going for the auto - manual conversion first. Can i just use the tranny off the d17a1 to the d16y7 for the conversion?.
No!
How many times or how many different ways must we all say it, it's not worth the time, trouble or money involved.
Those '01+ D motors and drive lines are not related enough to use any parts off of for any older generation.
Sell off the '01 Civic if you want to make real financial sense.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
d17 are compeletely different its like doing a k swap lots of extra parts that you'll need to get that the car doesn't normally came with and etc. cut and moding. just swap the whole EX into your other civic the ex came with d16y8 which has vtec and made more power then the d16y7 which was non vtec this swap would be a direct plug and play swap and on top of that you have everything you'll need from the donor car