Damaged front of 2008 Civic

Civic2008

Hi,
I was in a minor fender bender (in the driveway, moving less than 5mph) and hit my 2008 Civic into an SUV.
The SUV is fine, the front of the Civic is not.

Damage includes:
entire plastic panel under lights + black bumper falling off (in one giant piece)
damage to front left light
some frame damage around the light

I bought the car new and it's never been hit in this location before. When I took the car to the repair guy, he asked two surprising questions:
1) "Has this part been replaced before" -- the plastic panel under the lights had some sticker on it that indicated it had been provided from a chop shop. This was shocking since I bought it off the Honda lot directly.
2) He also asked "Has this car been hit in the front before?"-- he found a dent with rust indicating that the car had experienced damage previously in this area.

The repairman is taking a look at the car but was hesitant to give more information or a quote as of yet.
Any guesses on total costs for repair including labor, and what the reasons could be for his 2 questions?

Thanks!

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Hi,
I was in a minor fender bender (in the driveway, moving less than 5mph) and hit my 2008 Civic into an SUV.
The SUV is fine, the front of the Civic is not.

Damage includes:
entire plastic panel under lights + black bumper falling off (in one giant piece)
damage to front left light
some frame damage around the light

I bought the car new and it's never been hit in this location before. When I took the car to the repair guy, he asked two surprising questions:
1) "Has this part been replaced before" -- the plastic panel under the lights had some sticker on it that indicated it had been provided from a chop shop. This was shocking since I bought it off the Honda lot directly.
2) He also asked "Has this car been hit in the front before?"-- he found a dent with rust indicating that the car had experienced damage previously in this area.

The repairman is taking a look at the car but was hesitant to give more information or a quote as of yet.
Any guesses on total costs for repair including labor, and what the reasons could be for his 2 questions?

Thanks!
If you bought it directly off the Honda lot brand new, I don't think the parts are from a chop shop. How does he know if it's from a chop shop? Chop shops don't usually put stickers on parts saying "Provided by Chop Shop at Such and Such address."

Rust is formed when bare metal is exposed to moisture. This doesn't always indicate an accident.

Is the guy you took it to reputable? Has he been recommended by someone else?

I'd take it a different dealership than you bought it from, and have them take a look at it. Not have them repair it, but have them take a look at it tell them what your body guy said. If they agree, I'd be looking into a lawyer.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Ask him to show you the dent with the rust around it. And the "chop shop" sticker. If he can't provide BOTH of those, tell him to f**k off.

lowlife9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
strange im not sure what the guy has to gain by lying about a replaced headlight i mean it has to be replaced anyway rite ???. but i have worked for shady car dealers before and there have been instances where employees have damaged cars from the lots and parts replaced from cheap non oem parts then sold for new it happens constantly.