DC2 Steering Rack Installed on a Stock EJ6

MotorMo

Respected
Bought my 97 hatch four months ago, and it came equipped with manual steering. I knew from the start of the relationship that something had to be done. I decided to swap the Integra power steering system I had laying around from my last project. I got the car aligned right before replacing the steering system so I can have some notes that would be worth sharing. These specs are noted for the front wheels only:

Right/Left
Camber Caster Toe
-EJ6 w/ factory sub frame -.17/-.11 +1.37/+1.26 +.07/+.07

-EJ6 w/ DC2 sub frame -.49/-.33 +.92/+.86 +.07/+.07

Lost some Positive Caster, and gained some Negative Camber, but not much of a change.

My EJ6 hatch is all stock (D series motor, factory suspension)-
These were the parts I needed:
92-95 Civic D series rear T-bracket;
94-01 Integra sub frame, sub frame bolts, control arms, steering rack, high side hose, low side hose, and steering swivel;
96-00 Civic power steering pump, pump bracket, suction hose (from pump to reservoir), reservoir and its bracket, and the low side plumbing (reservoir to rack). The low side portion, from the rack to the reservoir, was fitted by cutting the DC2 low side rubber hose at the rack to fit the length and curve of the EJ6 low side hard line that is bolted to the chassis.
Had to make a custom bracket to secure the high side hose to the engine (back of cylinder head area) or else it slightly rubbed on the shock tower. Granted with a B series engine swap, the factory bracket would solve this fitment issue.

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Not trying to disencourage you or be a hater, but what exactly would be the point of this? just do see if it's do able?

MotorMo

Respected
Yea mostly cause I'm a crazy Honda head. I plan on autoXing this car, and the Integra has one of the best steering ratios to do that in. Heard other shananagins like the Dc2 sub frame is stronger, it also gives me the option of running the GSR 24mm front sway bar. And yea, why not? I love to build 'em. See whats possible.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As if all your other reasons weren't good, being a "crazy Honda head" is reason enough to try it. Keep us updated on how it goes.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yea mostly cause I'm a crazy Honda head. I plan on autoXing this car, and the Integra has one of the best steering ratios to do that in. Heard other shananagins like the Dc2 sub frame is stronger, it also gives me the option of running the GSR 24mm front sway bar. And yea, why not? I love to build 'em. See whats possible.
Nothing really that crazy about using the dc steering rack. the dc/eg subframe is MUCH lighter weight. I'm curious as to why you chose not to use a manual rack because the lock to lock ratio is faster on the manual rack. I have all this in my ej7

This is all common place for K swaps, so seeing what's possible isn't much of an experiment anymore.

MotorMo

Respected
Nothing really that crazy about using the dc steering rack. the dc/eg subframe is MUCH lighter weight. I'm curious as to why you chose not to use a manual rack because the lock to lock ratio is faster on the manual rack. I have all this in my ej7

This is all common place for K swaps, so seeing what's possible isn't much of an experiment anymore.

Seeing what others have said, and doing it yourself are to different things. I enjoy the doing. Agreed, nothing that crazy, but fun none the less.
I've never seen it done, only read about such things. And being skeptical about what I've read on the web, I was very stoked to get it in and handled by 4pm the same day for an alignment.
I went with the power assist option cause I had a fairly new DC2 rack laying in my garage from my last project. It was taking up space and collecting dust so figured best put it to work. Really tho, I like my power steering :thumbs up
I was also happy that the alignment specs were very close to the EJ6 sub frame. Something I found no info on previously.