Disc Brakes on Back of 1991 Civic HB

Street91Civic

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well i did the Conversion from Drums to Disc. I have a 1991 Teg that the engine is out of and was basically using for parts. Well i took the Disc brakes off of it and put them on my civic. Everything bolts on nicely. The only thing is that you have to bolt on the whole arm that bolts the shock and body b/c the disc and drum bolt up is a tad bit different. All i have to do is Bleed the brakes and change the end on the E-brake b/c that didn't match up. I will try and get some pics.

rei

jSolo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Id like to see some pics.. Id love to convert my rear drums on my crx to disc.. I know someone w/ a wrecked Si (that I believe had rear disc) that I can supposely use for parts.. so.. maybe sometime I can do it.. I need to use a few things outta that car, geez I need to go check it out..

Millhouse609

Blowin s**t up
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sweet. replace your brake booster in the civic from the teg? might want to do that.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
and also get steel braided brake lines, they respond alot better then the stock rubber lines .

EluSive2K

OG Club Civic DJ!!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I got the disc brakes too, i never put them on tho! so they just sit at my moms garage collecting dust. Since im selling my car i figure why put more work into it.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
the teg my motor came out of is also the rear disc conversion donor for my hatch also, whole conversion for parts will run me 100.00 plus whatever labor to install.

Fawks

Applesauce b***h!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I really need to get that done. Drums are laughable.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i wouldn't call them laughable, they get their job done which is just a parking brake, same as what the disc would be, disc just look prettier then drums.

Street91Civic

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I am going to get pictures as soon as i can. Why would i need to use the Teg brake booster. I just had a new master cylinder put on the civic. Putting the disc on back actually wasn't hard at all.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
teg booster is just better then our stock ones for some reason, i'm not sure why.

Street91Civic

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oh so it isn't a must for making the brakes work. I haven't had a chance to bleed the brakes and i also have to replace or change the end of the E-brake cable. I might change it down the road if it isn't a must.

rei

jSolo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
this isnt too hard of task is it? ..swapping the rear drums for disc is it?

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
pretty easy to for one self this is.

shlammedV2

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
In order for a rear disc conversion to work properly on a 4th gen you need brake booster, master cylinder, and proportion valves. If you just slap on the trailing arm it would benefit only in looks. What happens without everything else is you will have to press the pedal down harder in order to get the same braking force you did before. I highly recommend looking into everything else I mentioned. It's pretty much bolt ons.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
shlammedV2 said:
In order for a rear disc conversion to work properly on a 4th gen you need brake booster, master cylinder, and proportion valves. If you just slap on the trailing arm it would benefit only in looks. What happens without everything else is you will have to press the pedal down harder in order to get the same braking force you did before. I highly recommend looking into everything else I mentioned. It's pretty much bolt ons.
it's not required, but just a EXTREMELY good idea.

Street91Civic

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So i can just take the brake booster off of the Teg. What excatly is the brake booster. Is it the Black Drum coming off of the fire wall. And since i do have a new master cyclinder on my civic can i put in on it. Does anyone know of a company online that will make custom E-brake cables. Also do i need to get new brake lines or can i just use the ones i have. They bolt up and mount fine but i was wondering would i need some bigger or better brake lines.