DIY: 96-00 Steering wheel install w/o SRS light and working horn

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So I searched and searched for a 99-00 steering wheel install and decided to take pics and do my own write up.

Part needed for SRS:

2.2ohm 5W resistor found here:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?x=10&y=14&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=SQMW52R2J

Tools Needed:
T30 Torx bit
19mm or 3/4 socket
rachet w/ extension
Phillips screwdriver
Electric spade set
Heat shrink
Heat gun
Soldering iron
Zip Tie

IMPORTANT: Disconnect battery for 30 mins before starting this project. Disabling a SRS airbag might be illegal in your state and I assume no responsibility for you or your car from using this write up to dismantle your SRS system or anything that might occur now or down the road.

1- Pop off the side panels and find the torx screws (1 on each side)

2. youll see the cruise wires, SRS and horn wiring. Unplug everything. Youll notice the horn wire is brown. SRS yellow/green.

3. Next is to remove the wheel. Mark the top of post to mark where the column is pointing.

4. Slide out clock spring assembly

5. The SRS wires are attached to clock spring.. this is where you clip it to attach the resistor.

6. Clip Brown horn wire and pull out of sleeving leaving the cruise wires to be tucked away later.

7. Now how did mine was using a spade with some heatshrink (this will drag on the hub as your positive connection. More on that in a bit.

8. What i did was cut the SRS wires to only have a little bit of wire showing. The Resistor has stiff prongs where i slid it in the wiring jacket and the soldered the wiring to the prong. (dont forget your heatshrink tubing) Heat everything so nothing is touching and its a solid solder.

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
9. Now that your resistor is set and done, Time to work your horn. I used a spade connector and heatshrunk it to a ziptie to keep constant pressure on the back of the hub. Now i have zipties with holes in them which made it easier to just screw down on the hole from clockspring. (see pics)

** Double check to make sure the only thing dragging is the spade connector on the backside of the hub** Sorry for the blurry pics, my cam is a POS!

10. When everything is good and you know its touching with some pressure, Time to put on hub. Tighten good of course, and double check horn wire. re-adjust if needed. Now is a good time to smear some die-electric grease on the back of the hub. (i didnt like the grease that was on it, so i used my own after cleaning the old stuff off.)

11. Attach your QR (note: dot on hub and QR is showing TOP) and make sure you note which is positive when assembling)

I had to cut off the spade and use the female side for my ground. heat shrunk of course.

12. Attach your wheel and hook up the positive and negative to the horn button.

13. Now if you did everything correctly, and your sure about your soldering skills. Re-attach NEG battery terminal, then turn the key to on.

My SRS light went off as usual and my horn works.

Pics:

I switched out my rigged horn set up for this OEM horn Shoe. It will keep pressure on the back of the hub. I just screwed it down to the plastic.

for the horn the way it should be done for longevity reasons is to install it like the pre srs cars do it with a shoe horn connector here is what it looks like
here is the part number 35259-SH3-A02 its $4 from honda

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Excellent DIY.

I am going to post a link in the DIY sticky for this section. :headbang:

710times

Wanted to see pictures. They're not there