1. ClubCivic is now on Instagram! Follow us at clubcivicdotcom. Want your photos features? Tag or DM us, use #clubcivicdotcom, or email us your photos to photos@clubcivic.com

DIY: Painting Fenders

Discussion in 'Exterior / Detailing / Bodywork DIY How-To's' started by SleepingSol, Feb 3, 2013.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SleepingSol

SleepingSol 10sec dd or BUST Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

I had a set of old ricer fenders laying around and decided i needed to freshen up on my painting skills. Here is what i used and how i went about it:

Sand paper: 320, 800, 1000 grit
    Rust-oleum Primer
    Rust-oleum Jet Black Paint (actual auto paint, not spray can)
    Dupli-color Clear Coat
    Rust-oleum Tac Cloths

I first sanded down the fiberglass fenders with 320 grit to knock down the small imperfections in the glass. i then wiped down both fenders with a wet lint free terry cloth and primered them (2 Coats)

[​IMG]

Once dry, I sanded over the primer with 800 grit very lightly cause i wanted a smooth surface but didn't want to remove any primer. I then cleaned then with the tac cloths.

[​IMG]

Using my Air compressor and HVLP Spray Gun set to 40psi gun pressure, i laid down 3 coats of jet black on each fender.

[​IMG]

Once dry i then wet sanded both fenders with 1000 grit and put 2 coats of clear on them. the dupli-color clear was spray can cause i had it laying around

2. AlaskaB16

AlaskaB16 DOING WORK! Registered VIP

Got any final pics mounted on car in daylight?

3. SleepingSol

No. I don't have my civic anymore. These were just laying around and I needed to brush up on skills cause I want to start painting more on the side

jameskroth043084 likes this.
  4. mymmeryloss

mymmeryloss RHD is where its at Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Not too shabby!

5. SleepingSol

Thanks

6. R3dline

R3dline Respected Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

I never really thought those looked bad. I kinda dig em , f**k me right?

MYDAYLY likes this.
  7. xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx Surge Master Registered VIP

Look kind of green to me but im sure thats just the picture and my poor eyesight.

Looks like good work, but maybe post up more of them in some better lighting so we can how well they came out?

8. SleepingSol

Yeah i will set them outside and get pics of them out in natural night instead of my garage

9. aeraiva

aeraiva Dedicated Civic Owner

They look alright in that lighting. And I agree with R3dline, I like the fenders myself as well. They look like the F-1 Style fenders by Extreme Dimensions (which is what I'm getting ready to purchase for my Civic). Any updates on the pics taken in better lighting?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.