1. ClubCivic is now on Instagram! Follow us at clubcivicdotcom. Want your photos features? Tag or DM us, use #clubcivicdotcom, or email us your photos to photos@clubcivic.com

DIY Rear camber fix aka washer trick

Discussion in 'Wheels / Tires / Brakes / Suspension DIY How-To's' started by thisizbrian, Mar 13, 2004.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. mienboiracer209

mienboiracer209 New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

thanks (i shouldve read the whole message in the beginning)

2. Noeladams

Noeladams Keyboard Cowboy Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Yes it really does work, Just had my alignment fixed about a week ago. Havent had any problems either!

3. jasonsa

jasonsa !!!TILA!!! 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

camaber issue

Are there any tricks like that to fix front camber porblems?

4. Noeladams

Noeladams Keyboard Cowboy Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

I dont know about the front ones, I got Skunk2 Camber kits on the front.

5. gabebauman

gabebauman Sk8aholic Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Nope...Ingalls or Skunk2 upper control arms.

6. edhgreatone

edhgreatone New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

so you don't put the washers on the screw just between the car and the screw thats where i am lost can somebody help me out

7. edhgreatone

for example when you losen bolt 1 how do you slide washers in there if the screw is blocking it?

8. Spencey

Spencey New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

no, the washers go behind the plate the bolts go through, so the order is, car, washers, plate, bolt head, hope that helps. I just did this the other day too, except I had thinner washers and used two, about a .5 degree positive change. I'm still running a bit of negative camber, but not a damaging amount like I was before.

9. Spencey

loosen one bolt, and then take the other one completely out so you can put the washers in, then screw it back in a bit, so it holds when you take the other one out to put the washers in, saves a lot of trouble. If the holes don't line up perfectly so you can put the bolt in, just set a cement block under the suspension and lower the jack down until you are resting on the block and it has pushed the suspension up until the holes line up, then put the bolt through the hole, put the washers on the end of the bolt, then just thread it back in and tighten it down. You don't want to go too tight though. If you have the Ingalls shim kit as it is called, it recommends only 28 foot pounds of pressure.

10. edhgreatone

oh i see thanks that helps a lot what are you talking about the block thing for you got me confused

11. edhgreatone

why does it say use any where from 30 - 45 mm bolts how do you know which one to buy?

12. x007den

x007den New User Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

because if you require more washers to correct your camber you will require longer bolts.

13. edhgreatone

yea i understand that but how do you know which length to get why not just get the maximum... 45 what if you going to use 4 washers on each bolt.... whats a good size to get?

14. x007den

x007den New User Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

if you only use lets say 2 washers u don't want a long bolt cause it won't fit snug. i've only heard of people using 2-3 washers so i guess 4 would require the 45mm bolt.

15. crazydyke

crazydyke New Member 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

im planning to try this but i think im gonna add just one or 2 washers, so do i need to buy another bolt?

16. Spencey

if the holes don't line up when you're trying to put the bolt back in, just put a cement block under the arm of the suspension, not under the brake. Then just lower the car with the jack to compress the suspension until the holes line up. I hope that's more explanatory

17. Spencey

its not recommended to use more than 3 bolts, you should get a real camber kit in that case

18. gabebauman

gabebauman Sk8aholic Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Edit...FYI...3 washers per bolt...not 3 bolts.

Total fix = 4 bolts/12 washers.

19. Spencey

yeah, I know, I typed that real late and I was really tired, I hope I didn't confuse anybody, but yeah, not recommended to use more than 3 washers per bolt and there are two bolts per side as you can see from the pictures

20. Toms98civ

Toms98civ Insomnia Registered VIP 5+ Year Member 10+ Year Member

Yeah it's true all you need is like a bolt and those washers for the rear and it works fine. I have skunk 2 camber on the front. you need to replace the upper control arms.