Does a D16y5 engine fit in a 1996 Honda Civic ex

gh0stk1d

5+ Year Member
:?::?:I have a 1996 Honda civic Ex with a blown up motor. I really want to put the d16y5 in it, but i don't know if it fits? If no, what do I have to change?:?::?:

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Yes, it will bolt on. You will need a new ECU, and a wide-band secondary o2 sensor.

It may be cheaper to source another Y8 unless youre getting the Y5 for REALLy cheap.

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
you will need a wide-band PRIMARY O2 sensor and you will need to add an additional wire to connect the wide-band sensor. you will also have to add wiring for the EGR solenoid/valve that is on the Y5 engine.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
you will need a wide-band PRIMARY O2 sensor and you will need to add an additional wire to connect the wide-band sensor. you will also have to add wiring for the EGR solenoid/valve that is on the Y5 engine.
:smackself

My bad. You can get the o2 sensor at Honda of course, but I believe its $500. www.stopshopanddrive.com has it for $300 last I checked.

I have a 5sp P2E ECU off of a 2000HX if you are interested.

gh0stk1d

5+ Year Member
Is the O2 sensor only to check the oxygen or does it have a essential job in the motor?

wannabe

law abiding smog tech
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the Y5 runs at a much leaner fuel mixture that other d-series engines so it needs the wide-band sensor in order to get a more accurate reading. it will not work with a regular four-wire o2s.