does an aftermarket cam make vtec engage harder?

ej8_st

I'm looking into a bisimoto level 2. please don't tell me "oh. you're dumb for asking about making vtec crossover better". please just explain why if yes or if no. I have a d15b vtec. i am in the process of building a decent sohc (200 hp) currently 150 hp. yes i know it's expensive, it's my choice. I know the costs of everything as well. So yeah i was just wondering if this aftermarket cam would make vtec engagement better(more pronounced performance wise) than stock. just trying to learn somethings. I did mention more pronounced than stock, not more pronounced than dohc.

sleeper si

Registered VIP
staying NA is gonna cost $$ as you mentionned and yes going with an aftermarket will give you some gains

00siboy

lurkin...
Registered VIP
Is the 150hp at the wheels? What is your plan for the setup that will get you to 200hp in a d15b? It takes big money, lots of knowledge, and a sick tune to get a d-series up to 200hp n/a. I'm not a tuner, but for vtec to "hit harder" it will actually result in a less smooth power curve, a good tune will make a smooth transition between low cam and high cam. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm looking into a bisimoto level 2. please don't tell me "oh. you're dumb for asking about making vtec crossover better". please just explain why if yes or if no. I have a d15b vtec. i am in the process of building a decent sohc (200 hp) currently 150 hp. yes i know it's expensive, it's my choice. I know the costs of everything as well. So yeah i was just wondering if this aftermarket cam would make vtec engagement better(more pronounced performance wise) than stock. just trying to learn somethings. I did mention more pronounced than stock, not more pronounced than dohc.
the bisi cam or most aftermarket ones will usually smooth the vtec transition.

if you want to "hear" or "feel" the vtec more, i would suggest a powerchamber intake, Bisi header, higher CR, and a tune.

ej8_st

Is the 150hp at the wheels? What is your plan for the setup that will get you to 200hp in a d15b? It takes big money, lots of knowledge, and a sick tune to get a d-series up to 200hp n/a. I'm not a tuner, but for vtec to "hit harder" it will actually result in a less smooth power curve, a good tune will make a smooth transition between low cam and high cam. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
like i said, i understand the budgets, i'm trying to learn. the tuned ecu i have now smooths out the vtec transition. i'm not expecting a huge pop. but on the dyno, i'm looking for a dramatic increase/curve on the chart.