Does fuel filter ever need replacing?

myfavecoupe

Doesn't say so in the Honda manual, can't confirm if it's a routine maintenance item anywhere. Some say to do it while others say it doesn't need to be - 98 civic ex 162k miles

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Do you think an item, such as a filter for your fuel, should be changed after 16 years?

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
As a general rule of thumb, I include a fuel filter change with every major tune up, especially when I just purchase a car.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
From what I've heard, dealerships will tell you the fuel filter is good "for life". But in reality they don't ever want to replace them because, and especially true with higher mileage vehicles, it's nearly impossible to remove the fuel pipe from the filter (without damaging it). And dealerships don't want to mess with that.

myfavecoupe

From what I've heard, dealerships will tell you the fuel filter is good "for life". But in reality they don't ever want to replace them because, and especially true with higher mileage vehicles, it's nearly impossible to remove the fuel pipe from the filter. And dealerships don't want to deal with that.

So I'm essentially doomed if I try to do it at this point?

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
No.

Find the proper wrenches to disconnect the fuel lines from the filter.

The bottom line has a free spinning nut that attaches to the bottom of the filter (which has a fixed nut) (I think these are like 15mm and 17mm)

The top fuel like has a bolt that threads down into the line where there is a fixed nut on the top of the fuel filter UNDER where the fuel line sits. (I believe these are 17mm and 19mm) I may be off on the sizes, take a look and fit the wrenches to them to get the proper size.

There's also a curved arm that bolts in BEHIND the fuel filter that holds it in place. I think this is a 12mm. That has to come out and the arm swings towards the front of the car and will come out easily.

Also keep plenty of paper towels close by. You will inevitably spill fuel and you don't want it all over hell.

If it takes you more than 20 minutes, you're likely doing something wrong. You can do it OP, I believe in you.

Edit: Also make sure you use the copper crush washers provided. If you get the filter from Honda (Do it), you'll only have the proper washers here.

young_

out on bail
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No.

Find the proper wrenches to disconnect the fuel lines from the filter.

The bottom line has a free spinning nut that attaches to the bottom of the filter (which has a fixed nut) (I think these are like 15mm and 17mm)

The top fuel like has a bolt that threads down into the line where there is a fixed nut on the top of the fuel filter UNDER where the fuel line sits. (I believe these are 17mm and 19mm) I may be off on the sizes, take a look and fit the wrenches to them to get the proper size.

There's also a curved arm that bolts in BEHIND the fuel filter that holds it in place. I think this is a 12mm. That has to come out and the arm swings towards the front of the car and will come out easily.

Also keep plenty of paper towels close by. You will inevitably spill fuel and you don't want it all over hell.

If it takes you more than 20 minutes, you're likely doing something wrong. You can do it OP, I believe in you.

This^^

I also make it a point to do mine with every major tune up. It's not hard.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Well 113k isn't bad for a Honda. Personally, I've never done mine and never had it replaced, so I couldn't tell you. I'm sure plenty of people here have replaced theirs though, and can chime in.

EDIT: See, I'm slow. They already chimed in :lol:

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What in the fuel is being filtered?

myfavecoupe

What in the fuel is being filtered?

I imagine any impurities/sediments that may be present when filling and in the fuel tank.

However, a fried has a 99 civic with over 200k miles and he's always used the cheapest gas out and never replaced the filter. Never had fuel issues *knock on wood*

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Cheap has nothing to do with the debris in the fuel. The tanks that is it stored in, the condition of your fuel tank and lines, things like that.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Cheap has nothing to do with the debris in the fuel. The tanks that is it stored in, the condition of your fuel tank and lines, things like that.
Nailed it.

Also why would they have a part readily available if it doesn't require replacing?

myfavecoupe

Nailed it.

Also why would they have a part readily available if it doesn't require replacing?

The Honda service manual doesn't have a maintenance interval for the fuel filter, just says to replace if there's a problem with fuel pressure. That's why I brought it up for discussion

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The Honda service manual doesn't have a maintenance interval for the fuel filter, just says to replace if there's a problem with fuel pressure. That's why I brought it up for discussion
I know what the manual says. Here at Porsche they say that the trans fluids are life time, yet we keep plenty in stock and do flushes almost weekly. The part wouldn't be readily available unless they need to be changed. If it were something that just needed done when there is a fuel pressure problem, there is either a lot of pressure issues or they actually need replaced because there are a ton of them around including aftermarket support.

EVERY filter needs changed at some point regardless if someone forgot to print it in a manual or not. None of them are lifetime, that isn't possible.

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Under perfect conditions, the filter wouldn't need to be replaced because the idea is that no one sells dirty gas. Well guess what, it happens. So fuel filters need to be replaced occasionally because real life.

RonJ

Banned
Correct. The service manual provides you with the bottom line, giving you the freedom to choose among 3 options.

1) Measure your fuel pressure regularly. For example, this could be done by installing a fuel pressure gauge and checking the gauge regularly. If you see the pressure reading drop below spec, replace the filter.

2) Replace the fuel filter at some regular interval determined by you (e.g., 50K miles) as preventative maintenance.

3) Never replace the fuel filter or check the pressure and risk an unexpected inconvenient break down due to a clogged fuel filter.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I would think a fuel filter should be changed every 50-75000 miles just like most spark plugs