Door problems getting even worse now

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
So some of you MIGHT recall a thread I made a long time ago about my passenger lock acting up. That it doesn't lock/unlock all the time when using the remote or driver side switch.

But now, the driver side lock and inside handle is fuxored. I was locked inside my car today cuz I couldn't get out :(. I think what's wrong is that the handle assembly and the metal wire it pulls or whatever is either rusted or not lubed enough? Because ever since last year, the handle never fully sat flush against the door piece. It sticks out a bit.

And today, for the first time, the lock didn't unlock all the way. So everytime I went to pull the handle, it just re-locked automatically. So I had to pull and push on the handle and open it from the outside.

Is there any way to fix this? Do I just have to take the panel off and see what's going on? Lube s**t up?

defvayne

Set This World On Blaze!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Take the panel off and see whats the deal. Might be that something came loose inside.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Bump for any detailed solutions from anyone.

I'm gonna attempt to take my door panels off sometime this week (for the first time ever...eek) and see what's wrong. Does anyone know (or better yet, have pictures) or where/what I should be looking for? I've never seen under a door panel.

schutzracing

#1 ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yo I IMed you but no reply.. i can help u out.. Ive had mine off like a billion times lol..

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Well I got around to doing it today. Took off the driver side door panel and had a look around. At first it looked fine but then I noticed....

Driver side:
Right down by where the lock actually is on the side of the door by the door jam, where it locks onto the U shape piece on the car... There's a little "mechanism" (I dunno the right word).

See when you pull the lever on the inside, it pulls the rod which in turn is hooked up to sort "pulley system" except with solid rods. And the bolt that allows that "pulley system" to work is rusted beyond belief...wow. I WD-40'd it and it free'd it up somewhat. I then loosened the 3 bolts holding the lever/lock switch and moved it farther away from the end of the door so the lever would have more room to sit closer to the door.

Passenger side:
The little bolt under the lever was stuck on there good so I didn't get a chance to look at the whole assembly. But I managed to pull away some of the door panel so I could look down in between the door and saw that the rusted bolt on the driver side is perfectly fine on the passenger side.

---------------------

Thanks to JDM-EJ1 from Honda-Tech and shutzracing from ClubCivic for helpin me :thumbs up.

It works MUCH better now with WD-40 sprayed all over it. I sprayed an ass-load lol. Getting the driver side door panel was a b***h! Took me like 15/20 minutes but I finally learned the trick to it and got it.

Thanks again guys!

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I can get all four door panels off my car in 5 minutes, I've done it so many times. :lol:

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Getting it off was easy. Took me a few minutes too. Getting it back ON was a f**king b***h. I finally learned the trick though to do it. I tried it a few times and it just slid on ;). I was ready to smack myself with the screwdriver for not figuring it out.