Driver's door won't unlock from either side

HydroSteve

Hi everyone.

I'd rather not spend a few bucks getting an actual mechanic to have a looksie at the car so I might as well try my luck with you fine people.

I bought my '97 Civic EK (Hatch) about 5-6 years ago and it's either showing it's age or it's just bad luck. The drivers side door refuses to unlock with the key on the outside and inside it doesn't budge with the manual lock either. The passenger door unlock and locks fine on both sides, so it's not the end of the world.

However, the drivers door does lock from both in and out (With the key and manually) and you can here the central locking engage. The issue is with the unlocking mechanism only. It's only started doing this today and I'm no expert on Civics.

I do know that removing the door panel would be a start but God knows how to do that with the door closed. Also, it's winter over here in NZ and it's frickin' cold. Don't know if that matters or not.

ANyway, any help would be appreciated. As I said, I'd rather fix it myself as I'm not sure how I'll get any time off work to get someone to do it for me. Plus, I'm cheap.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What do you mean you people?

Is there a chance it could be frozen?

Might spray some lube in there and see if that helps

HydroSteve

What do you mean you people?

Is there a chance it could be frozen?

Might spray some lube in there and see if that helps
I DIDN'T MEAN NOTHING BY IT I SWEAR. PLEASE DON'T PUT ME ON CNN.

Seriosuly though, I do have access to several cans of WD40 and such so where should I be spraying the stuff? I could remove the cover that fits over the door handle (On the inside) and go to work. Would that help? I'd really rather not rip the panel off as I will lose a finger or three and it will take me forever.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I was kidding. I dont give two shits about political correctness.

Just start spraying man. Spray the tires and the windshield and the door locks. s**t, spray your ol ladys butthole while your at it :thumbs up

HydroSteve

I was kidding. I dont give two shits about political correctness.

Just start spraying man. Spray the tires and the windshield and the door locks. s**t, spray your ol ladys butthole while your at it :thumbs up
Lube is life.

I'll spray the whole damn door if I have to and hopefully, it'll fix it. Otherwise I'll be ripping the panel off in the weekend.

saa93acura

Try pulling door handle at the same time u turn key or push manual lock switch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk