driving in the snow

Mad Dog Tannen

Registered VIP
Be very light on the controls and drive a lot slower. Engine braking just imitates braking lightly. So it is better for an inexperienced driver. It is better to learn to brake using all four wheels with the brakes. Brake before you get to the corner, and never tailgate!

I suggest you find a empty parking lot somewhere and mess around so that you can learn how the car reacts in the snow, and the limits of it's traction.

Remember to be gentle with your inputs! Never jerk the wheel, slam the brakes or romp on the gas. Try to imagine a full glass of water in the passenger seat and try not to spill a drop!

I suggest not using summer tires, but all seasons are usually ok.

Speaking of tires the ones that came on the truck couldn't even handle light rain, so I got me some new kicks for the whip yesterday. And some bilstein HD's should get here today...

BFG A/T's 285/75/16 So far they are awesome in the white stuff!

HatchmanEJ6

Mmmonocle smile!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok i just got back from a practice run of starting in 2nd, getting the feel for it and what not. it DEFINITELY helped with the spinning out of 1st problem i was having yesterday. i didnt spin once just now. solid info guys. i really appreciate it. :cool:

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
When going up hills keep your throttle input constant, no wavering. Brake early. Smooth inputs on the steering wheel.

Also, do what I did and get a Subaru with studded winter tires and laugh at the assholes on the side of the road.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I laugh at the assholes on the side of the road that have 4/AWD with my fwd lowered piece of s**t with all seasons :lol:.

Shaaaft

FNG
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Has anyone suggested practicing in a empty snow filled parking lot? I take my car out a couple times just to get a feel for how it is going to slide with the tires I have. Practice drifting, braking down a hill( I did a 360 one time and learned I shouldn't go down any hills an try to stop) and just everything you think will help you control your car better in the snow.

Don't try this stuff to be fun though. If you screw up on the road then s**t can get crazy.

matisgugle

5+ Year Member
oh man! i remember my first time, i was like 16, i was driving from a friends house, going over a big hill... well, it started to DUMP, i think we got like 6 inches that night, anyways, i remember staring in the snow, like it was Star Wars, i dunno how to explain it, its like your standing still, kinda mesmerizing... it was bad though!
just take your time, be patient, you'll get it.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lolz...

i feel like im on the vue...

bunch of women in here...