Dumb Tail Light Problem

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I've had this problem since I bought my car. My tail lights work when I hit my brakes even if the headlights are on or off which is normal, but don't turn on when I turn my headlights on. I replaced the bulb and that didn't fix it. I need this fixed so I can drive the car and safety it. Please reply with helpful info.

projektej8

-------------------------
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
tail light fuse is blown

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I checked the fuse its good. The oddest thing is they work normally until I start the car and thats when all this happens. I thinking a short circuit but I hope not.

apekd

-----Distracted you, huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did you check to see if the brake light switch is going out? did that on my old hatch, the switch went out and was always on. made no sense for the longest time

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The lights work fine when it comes to the braking part. They go on when I hit the brakes no matter what, whether the car is running or not or lights on or off. I have the problem when I have the headlights on and start the car.

I try to explain it a little better. If you were to go outside right now and turn your headlights on your brake light should glow, which mine do. Now start the car and they should still be on, right. Mine turn off. I hope this makes more sense. If it's the brake sensor then I would have the problem which I hit the brakes right.

98civikdx

98civik
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Random thought, single rather than double filament bulbs?

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I forgot to mention that I replaced the bulbs a month ago. My friend told me that this might fix the problem. He was half right. By this I mean, now they work while the car isn't running. But thanks for the input and the random thought. My other bulbs were half blown, maybe this could help out with finding a fix.

civic94lx

Banned
I had a similar problem and its the fuse because i have an aftermarket tail light and it became grounded. But mine was different from yours because the tail light won't turn on even if I start the car or not. Consult an electrician.

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sorry to bring this back from the dead but I still have this problem. I've asked everyone I know and the told me to get a taillight wiring diagram, which I can't find anywhere. How would a taillight become grounded, they're plastic.

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I just checked it again and the fuse is good. Accord to the fuse cover, the parking lights(taillights with headlights on)) I believe they are called are on the same circuit as the license plate lights. And if I remember correctly the plate lights stay on as long as the headlights are on even if I start the car.

19ef90

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The lights work fine when it comes to the braking part. They go on when I hit the brakes no matter what, whether the car is running or not or lights on or off. I have the problem when I have the headlights on and start the car.

I try to explain it a little better. If you were to go outside right now and turn your headlights on your brake light should glow, which mine do. Now start the car and they should still be on, right. Mine turn off. I hope this makes more sense. If it's the brake sensor then I would have the problem which I hit the brakes right.
sounds like its the runners you want to stay on right?
you dont want your brake lights to stay on all the time. lol

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yes it is the runners I want to stay on. If my runners didn't work at all it would be an easy fix, but they work when the car isn't running. It can't be grounds because a bad ground would mean they work at all or on and off. It could be a short but what could cause a short when I start the car. If it is a short, wouldn't it affect my headlights as well. I mean they are on the same relay/ circuit if I'm not mistaken. Another thing, wouldn't a short blow the fuse. Just my thoughts on the situation.

Some info out of the blue. My deck doesn't work but it looks old and crappy. I'm trying to give as much info as possible so I can get an answer.

RonJ

Banned
I'm foggy on what the problem is.

Engine not running:
1) Click light switch one notch to parking lights position and dash and tail lights turn on, right?
2) Click light switch one more notch to headlights lights position and now headlights turn on and dash and taillights also stay on or turn OFF?

Engine running:
How do (1) and (2) above now differ?

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
1) Correct
2) Stay on

1)All on except taillights
2)All on except taillights

On a side note the brake lights work fine whether the car is running or not. Hence my confusion.

EG Hatch

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Are the housing grounded or something, because I took the bulbs out of the housing but still in the connectors and the taillights didn't work at all. I did this so I could see them glow without having to get out of my car. As far as key turned and not working I still don't have an answer.

edit:
Now the taillights don't work period, unless I hit the brakes. My side markers also don't work so I'm assuming that it is my switch causing all of this. Correct me if I'm wrong, little dot on the switch is front side markers. BTW my headlights still work.