Ec7 ef wrong year?

inkdhanya

can u guys help me find out any info on my ec7? because all i know its a civic 1200 hatchback. and on my registration it says 1993. but i thought 4th gens were from 88-91? i would like to know when they were actually manufactured so i can have it fixed on my registration. pls and tnx!

this is my vin/chassis by the way JHMEC73200SXXXXXX

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Did you verify the VIN is the same throughout the car and matches with the registration? Do the VIN badged look potentially tampered? You may have to backtrack with the title agency and see where the discrepancy occurred. I believe the 10th digit of the VIN is the model year. Yours is a zero, indicating its a 1990. Be prepared of the possibility that your can has been previously stolen or illegally registered in the past.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
His vin is all messed up. Something lost in translation...? In Vin numbers they usually don't use "0" or "O" as the year code to take out confusion. 1990 would be "L".

Also, using the vin decoder at work, there is no EC7, it goes from EC6 to EC8. Reading the vin wrong and mean ED7?

Post a picture of the real vin (somewhere stamped on the car, not given from the messed up title/registration) if you want thorough help. No need to "X" out the vin. What are you hiding? Can't help you if we don't have all the information. If that doesn't gel with you, decode it yourself through an online decoder that can be found in half a second on google. :thumbs up

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
His vin is all messed up. Something lost in translation...? In Vin numbers they usually don't use "0" or "O" as the year code to take out confusion. 1990 would be "L".
Thats right. My bad.

inkdhanya

Also, using the vin decoder at work, there is no EC7, it goes from EC6 to EC8. Reading the vin wrong and mean ED7?

Post a picture of the real vin (somewhere stamped on the car, not given from the messed up title/registration) if you want thorough help. No need to "X" out the vin. What are you hiding? Can't help you if we don't have all the information. If that doesn't gel with you, decode it yourself through an online decoder that can be found in half a second on google. :thumbs up

So heres what i got. So the 0 means 1988 or is it just an example? And i got a d12 engine. So im in the philippines and the person i bought it from said it was imported here so im guessin thats why its a diffrent syle chassis? What country was this car from other than japan cuz its not rhd.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
In a forum that gets less than 10 new treads a DAY, there is no need to keep bumping your thread, especially on a Sunday when everyone is spending time with their families enjoying their real lives outside of the forum. People will answer when they take the time out of their lives to do so....bumping isn't going to speed that up any faster. I have been around forums for over over 15 years now and never once have I seen excessive bumping lead to a solution to a problem. Have patience....or search the net for your answer instead of waiting for one. :thumbs up

There is something wrong with your vin. THERE IS NO 0 in the year designation slot in a real 17 digit vin. There is a reason for that. Same reason they don't use the letter "O". Same concept that they don't use the letter "I" as to not confuse with the number 1. Can't help you if we don't have a real vin to go off of. Something doesn't add up here which is probably why your title is all screwed up. They can't make sense of it either.

1988 would be the letter J. That chart you posted is just for example.

These are the universal world codes for the 10th digit year designation in a 17 digit vin.
D - 1983
E - 1984
F - 1985
G - 1986
H - 1987
J - 1988
K - 1989
L - 1990
M - 1991
N - 1992
P - 1993
R - 1994
S - 1995
T - 1996
V - 1997
W - 1998
X - 1999
Y - 2000
1 - 2001
2 - 2002
3 - 2003
4 - 2004
5 - 2005
6 - 2006
7 - 2007
8 - 2008
9 - 2009
A - 2010
B - 2011
C - 2012
D - 2013
E - 2014
F - 2015

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
After some googling using the phrase "vin 10th digit zero". The D12B1 is a European model engine and Europe doesnt exactly follow the same VIN rules as in the US. So the zero is correct as it is collectively used with its previous numbers. This Link has the best explanation I found. Its about Toyota but seems to be universally true for Europe.

"European VIN-number directives aren't as stringent as their American equivalent. They're still based on the same ISO 3779 procedure but they don't require the year of manufacture (position ten), the factory code (position eleven) or the accuracy check number (position nine), nor the VDS (positions three to eight) for the model description.

The way Toyota VIN-numbers are made up is manufacturing country (position one), factory location (position two), division of Toyota responsible for that model (position three), body shape (position four and five), model code (position six to nine), assembly line (position ten and eleven) and finally the serial number (position twelve to seventeen)."

Therefore, I dont know how to discern the model year from then VIN but at least I gave you a starting point.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member

There is something wrong with your vin. THERE IS NO 0 in the year designation slot in a real 17 digit vin. There is a reason for that. Same reason they don't use the letter "O". Same concept that they don't use the letter "I" as to not confuse with the number 1. Can't help you if we don't have a real vin to go off of. Something doesn't add up here which is probably why your title is all screwed up. They can't make sense of it either.

1988 would be the letter J. That chart you posted is just for example.
The examples from Helms manuals are actually real examples. For instance, see the Helms manual of my RSX below:

All the numbers there are correct -- in fact it only gives me possible options, and not just random numbers. Since the Helms manual the OP is showing reflects a 0, I bet it's "correct".

It's a non US manufactured car, and while the US requires letters there, Europe did not. It's in ISO 3779 but is not a *mandatory* requirement as long as the vehicle can still be uniquely identified. I believe Ford had a couple plants in Europe that actually produced the model year as the 11th digit, not the 10th. o.O

This post on the Bimmer forum sums it up best: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3063952&postcount=15

So the VIN IS "correct", it just doesn't follow the ISO 3779 standard.

You can also call Honda to confirm. I also read that someone with a 0 in the 10th digit also became confused. They were able to call Honda and confirm the VIN number was legitimate. Hopefully you can do the same here.

All the VIN-checking websites do is compare data to a database. So those sites will come up with an invalid 10th digit, as they adhere to the ISO3997 standard.

BUT.. .a VIN should be in a database somewhere, right? Like a registry database, as it's not brand new so it's been registered somewhere before. So checking a non-US database shows...

it's legit!

Not sure why the check-digit failed, but that's irreverent here

It even has registry records! http://www.autodna.com/vin/JHMEC73200S300216

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You can also call Honda to confirm.

Best advice in the whole thread.

Also, you are correct that Europe didn't require the 10th digit year check but the car was manufactured in Sazuka Japan. Japan does have the 10th digit year check.

Something isn't adding up. Call Honda. /close thread.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Best advice in the whole thread.

Also, you are correct that Europe didn't require the 10th digit year check but the car was manufactured in Sazuka Japan. Japan does have the 10th digit year check.

Something isn't adding up. Call Honda. /close thread.
Where it's manufactured doesn't matter, I believe. Where it's being sold to does.

I tried it with my Civic, and it says it was manufactured in "KANADA" lol.

I also misspoke when I mentioned Ford having a couple plants in Europe. I meant they were sold somewhere in Europe... I have no idea where those vehicles were actually made though.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Where it's manufactured doesn't matter, I believe. Where it's being sold to does.

I tried it with my Civic, and it says it was manufactured in "KANADA" lol.

I also misspoke when I mentioned Ford having a couple plants in Europe. I meant they were sold somewhere in Europe... I have no idea where those vehicles were actually made though.
You are right. It is where the car is going to be originally titled. I had it backwards. Problem is, even the picture of the decoder from the other side of the pond that you posted (the non-US one) is still confused. There is something wrong with the vin. Your advice for calling Honda is the only thing that will get this guy resolved.

My decoders here (because the cars coming directly from Germany) decode any valid vin regardless of origin. Only ones that don't come up are black market cars (which this could very well be), which in that case Honda again would be the only one that can decode it. Black market cars are ones that have no base origin like the ones used for factory manager's demos, corporate demos, factory displays, etc.

*Edit* I just called my contact at the honda dealer in parts and he said that there is something wrong with the VIN on his end too. He said that it is acting like a black market VIN, which fuels my theory above. He said his decoder should tell him if it was U.S., Canada, European, Japanese, etc market and it doesn't come up. Runs it as a generic 1978-1991. He recommended calling Honda tech support as well or at the very least sending them an email.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The first digit determines country... no vin decoder needed for that. The manufacturer location is also there. Are you sure the Honda guy typed in the info correctly? I'd think he should be able to get more information compared to the free online one.

I've also read that NA Honda only has access to NA Honda products. I wonder if contacting Honda Europe would provide different results?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The first digit determines country... no vin decoder needed for that. The manufacturer location is also there. Are you sure the Honda guy typed in the info correctly? I'd think he should be able to get more information compared to the free online one.

I've also read that NA Honda only has access to NA Honda products. I wonder if contacting Honda Europe would provide different results?
Yup. He read it back 3 times. Yes, he should be able to get the information. Unless the VIN is black market (usually referred to grey, black sounds dirty :lol:) or something weird.

I am sure that NA Honda is just like us in the German vehicle parts world. We don't have access to out of market parts with the exception of a few things like lights, side markers, emblems, etc (out of market is of course anything outside North America and in Porsche's eyes, Canada isn't included in North America). We can't get a key for one, nor can we get any SRS stuff, control units, etc. We can still look them up though. My catalog goes for ALL markets. The dude at Honda should be the same way, unless his catalog is significantly different than ours.

Grey market vehicles are a pain in the ass. For instance, I had a guy come to my front counter Saturday looking to order a key and his car came up as a grey market. It kept generically bouncing it back as a 1997-2004 Boxster because it couldn't find the year as the check digit is generic (in this case it was a Z which is also not used in vin year check digits). I had to give him Porsche's contact number and have them take it from there. That is the same weird thing that is happening with OP's civic when the dude at Honda inputs the VIN. Unless his catalog is different than the German vehicle ones, it should be able to look up any market vehicle except grey. From what I was told on the German vehicle side, is that the grey market ones weren't really supposed to be in circulation but they end up hitting a point where the time runs out and they don't care ultimately sending them out into the world f**king things up for parts guys because they are impossible to look up. :lol::lol: