EH9 fuel gauge stuck on full

Vik

I recently bought a 95 civic ex sedan, the biggest problem it has is that the fuel gauge is stuck on full. I already replaced the gauge itself and the sending unit as well. But the needle still remains on full. I read previous threads saying it could be either of those two things or an electrical issue. So my question is exactly what electrical issue could it be and how could i fix it.

RonJ

Banned
Could be a short in the cluster or in the wire that runs between the cluster and sending unit.

Start here:

Unplug the fuel sending unit connector next to the fuel pump connector under the rear seat. Turn key to ON(II). Does the fuel gauge needle now drop toward E?

Vik

Could be a short in the cluster or in the wire that runs between the cluster and sending unit.

Start here:

Unplug the fuel sending unit connector next to the fuel pump connector under the rear seat. Turn key to ON(II). Does the fuel gauge needle now drop toward E?
Ok i'll try it tomorow thanks

So i already unplugged the sending unit connector and turned the key to ON(II), and it did nothing, the needle remained on full.

Last edited by a moderator:

RonJ

Banned
Remove the cluster and unplug only cluster connector B.

When you turn the key to ON(II), does the needle now drop?

Vik

Which one is connector b on the cluster? Sitting in front of the wheel, would it be the connector on the left or the right?

RonJ

Banned
There's a short in the fuel gauge or the printed circuit board. If there's no obvious damage to the circuit board, then replacing the fuel gauge should solve the problem.

Vik

Well i guess i'll find out today. I ordered a used gauge cluster off ebay like a week ago, and it should be here by today, i'll update with any new info when i get it on the car.

Vik

So the estimated shipping i got for the gauge cluster was wrong, it actually just got here today and it seems to have worked. Thanks for the help bro i appreciate it.:headbang: