EJ7: Largest fitting spare?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a '97 Civic Coupe and I'd like to replace my anemic 13x4.5 inch spare with the widest spare that can fit in the trunk spare location. As far as I can tell, the largest diameter that should fit is 19.5 inches with a 5 inch width. I'm considering trying to obtain an old 13 inch 1980's rim with a 5 inch width. Im not certain a old small 14" would fit by diameter. Your input is greatly appreciated.

RonJ

Banned
I fit a stock sized wheel/tire into the trunk space of my 97 Civic sedan. The only mod that was necessary was to extend the length of the bolt that secures the wheel/tire in the trunk space so that it doesn't bounce around when you hit bumps.

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I have a 14" full size stock. Mine doesn't sit flush, and pushes up on my cardboard/carpeting a bit. I couldn't secure it either.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I fit a stock sized wheel/tire into the trunk space of my 97 Civic sedan. The only mod that was necessary was to extend the length of the bolt that secures the wheel/tire in the trunk space so that it doesn't bounce around when you hit bumps.
My stock SI on 195-50-15 tire doesnt fit in my coupe spare area, so Im inclined to think a standard 14" wont fit either. Comparing with my brothers sedan, it seems the sedan has a slightly wider spare area. I could be wrong though since its difficult to measure his trunk thats full of crap.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It really only fits a donut properly. Anything else is going to stick up.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It really only fits a donut properly. Anything else is going to stick up.
This is why I'm hunting down an old early 80's 13 inch wheel because theyre about 5 inches wide, which should fit snugly since the donuts are 4.5 inches wide. On a tire that thin, every bit of width helps.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its been a while but I'm back on researching this idea. I am now considering using a 13" Civic VX rim as a spare with a 145-70-13 tire which I have calculated to fit in the spare tire area of my coupe. The question is if the VX rim will clear the brake calipers on my HX. I'm fully aware they will not clear EX & SI model calipers.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
While rummaging through some old forums I came across a Honda owner who stated VX will NOT fit any '96-'00 Civic due to the front calipers although they would clear the rear drums. So my mission to find the largest spare tire will continue.

RichardCrainium

my fat five fits with a 205-50-zr15 but it raises the cardboard. the wheel with is 7.5 i think

I thought the si rims where 16's?

Last edited by a moderator:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my fat five fits with a 205-50-zr15 but it raises the cardboard. the wheel with is 7.5 i think

I thought the si rims where 16's?
If it raises the cardboard then it doesnt fit. And SI rims are 15 inches as well. I believe both rims are 6 inches wide.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Update

Mission: Accomplished!

The '00-'06 Honda Insight spare fits perfectly. Its a 14" aluminum rim and measures 5 inches wide by 21 inches in height at the tire. It sits maybe 1/4 of an inch below the cover panel. Being an aluminum rim, it weighs about 14.5 lbs compared to the original steel 13" rim that weighs about 19.5 lbs. These are tire-mounted weights.

I'll be selling the original spare tire if anyone's interested. It still has the little rubber whiskers and has no dry rot.

rover4x4

5+ Year Member
I have a fullsize spare in my hatchback, 185/65/14 it was easily secured with the stock bolt/clamp. Its nice having a fullsize spare esp when you get a flat hours from home.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a fullsize spare in my hatchback, 185/65/14 it was easily secured with the stock bolt/clamp. Its nice having a fullsize spare esp when you get a flat hours from home.
Good for you, but this is totally irrelevant to the topic at hand.