Electrical Issue - 1991 Civic Hatchback Std

mondo05

Hey guys! I'm new here and this is my first post.

I have a 1991 hatchback std, manual trans. My electrical issue started a couple months ago. I was headed to work early morning and as I approached a red-light, I engaged my clutch and when I pressed my brake pedal my turn indicator lights in the dash lit up, and the dash lights became dim, and she shut off. So, I pulled my e-brake, engaged my clutch, and she started right up. I then released the e-brake and when I hit the brake pedal again, the same thing happened as before and she died again.

I then pulled her into a vacant lot and checked what I could check, fuses, terminals, etc.

I then decided to try her one more time before calling a tow truck and she started up and drove like normal. It didn't occur again until a couple weeks later, but this time I could tell it was losing power and I was able to coast into an Auto Zone. I told the guy what was going on and he tested my alternator. He said he thought it was the voltage regulator in the alternator going bad. (Side note: the alternator was replaced less than a year ago)

So now it hasn't happened since then but what I have noticed is my fuel gauge doesn't read like normal. Sometimes it drops to E and then I tap my brakes and it goes back up to Full/wherever my tank is. At times my RPMs drop when I press the brakes. So I wanted to get someone who knows more about these awesome little cars' opinion on what I should do next.

Thanks for the help!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it could be a grounding issue somewhere, so check all the grounds.

mondo05

I'll do some google-ing, but do you know where I can find schematic of where to locate them?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

mondo05

I knew I came to the right place, I'll check these out as soon as possible and let you guys know the outcome. Thanks again for the help!