Eliminate turbo and go N/A?

bud6770

Your mom has vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So i bought a 92 civic sedan with a b16 swap and a shitty no name turbo installed and un-tuned. I was originally gonna replace the wastegate bov and turbo with better name stuff, but now what im wondering and kinda leaning towards is taking it all off to run n/a, and if i did that i would sell all the turbo crap and work on my suspension. I got the nice high end tein coilover and damper kit, but i would get the beaks tie bar, blox lca's, a gsr sway bar, and an h-brace. Maybe some other stuff too. Idk if its gonna run right or if i will need to tune once i go back to n/a, so any advice would be awsome, ive never dealt with a turbo car before. What are your opinions?

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Depending on your power preferences, you won't have as much power at N/A as turbo, but if you love the quick throttle response, a smooth-powerband, and possibly a higher redline if the engine is built for N/A, then go for it :what:

bud6770

Your mom has vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well another part of the delema is, i need to start driving this car in about a month, so stuff would have to be replaced very soon. Im 18 and a senior in high school, im on my own insurance, i make 8 bucks an hour, so how am i supposed to drop at least $300 on a turbo, 150 on a good used wategate, and get a good mani? plus iveheard b16's arent good boost platforms? i mean theplan is to sell the crap and do the suspension, then maybe later on i could build it n/a when i come across money or have saved up? ive seen some wicked n/a b16's so it is tempting.

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
it all comes down to the money really... if you dont have the funds right now then i would sell the kit on honda-tech and just save up for another turbo platform... or go N/A like you said, its just a decision you have to make but like i said if i was in your situation i would "re-boost" it

bud6770

Your mom has vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks, i think ill focus on selling the kit and doing the suspension work i talked about now. Eventually i can start building it n/a and have a nice set up, and with the block built then even later in the future it will be ready for boost again =] Besides, im only 18 and still in school, i dont think i need a boosted civic right now lol. Any advice is still apriciated tho!!! what all will go into getting it going after taking the turbo off? plug the oil pump, put an intake and header on it.... anything more?

Ej1Kyle

ej1oc
5+ Year Member
Doesn't sound like too bad of an idea..
you can still make decent power going n/a depending on your setup.. and selling your turbo stuff will def give you some cash to get started!
Look on the bright side.. N/A saves on gas =p and honestly.. I have more fun most of the time driving my civic than I do driving my eclipse.

bud6770

Your mom has vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Doesn't sound like too bad of an idea..
you can still make decent power going n/a depending on your setup.. and selling your turbo stuff will def give you some cash to get started!
Look on the bright side.. N/A saves on gas =p and honestly.. I have more fun most of the time driving my civic than I do driving my eclipse.
Yea, i wont need that uper end power really, i mean as long as i have quick throttle reponse im good. I like acceleration and corners, so my plans are probobly best for me, could make a decent weekend auto-x car too, even tho its a sedan =P

Yea and i dont wanna be buying premium when gas goes back up, which WILL happen =[

Ej1Kyle

ej1oc
5+ Year Member
Yea, i wont need that uper end power really, i mean as long as i have quick throttle reponse im good. I like acceleration and corners, so my plans are probobly best for me, could make a decent weekend auto-x car too, even tho its a sedan =P

Yea and i dont wanna be buying premium when gas goes back up, which WILL happen =[
Yeah, I've been kind of interested in the whole auto-x thing as well.
I'm selling my eclipse to get more parts for the car.. and I might take a try at it..
I just like making my car more enjoyable to drive...
speed doesn't really matter to me anymore.. although it is nice once and a while =p

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you may want to find what all was done to the motor as well. if he did things the right way then he may have put in low compression pistons in which case going n/a you may want to go back to stock.

bud6770

Your mom has vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you may want to find what all was done to the motor as well. if he did things the right way then he may have put in low compression pistons in which case going n/a you may want to go back to stock.

Its an ebay turbo kit, i doubt it has low compression pistons. But ill look into it =]

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
probably not but you never know. ive seen second hand kits on ebay that came with low comp pistons and forged rods