[EM1] About to replace starter (I think) v.push starting is a breeze

SexualChocolate

Stan Smith
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
[CLIFFS AT BOTTOM]

I think I'm about to replace the starter on my 99 Si. I tested my battery and im getting ~12.5 V, but my car wont start. I turn the key to start and hear nothing except a very, very low hum, sometimes. I am able to push start it, so I assume the starter went bad?

I'm not that great with mechanical stuff (I can change my oil, and do some of the basic things). With that being said, is replacing the starter something I could DIY? I looked in the engine bay and the starter (the cylindrical thing?) looked like it was pretty far down there and hard to reach.

Also, is there anything easier/cheaper that I could check first before replacing the starter? My negative battery terminal is corroded and I eventually need to replace it, but I can run all my electric stuff. Does it take a lot more power to start a car than it does to run amps/headlights? If so, perhaps theres too much resistance on that wire?

[cliffnotes]
1. battery is running 12.5v + can push start car = bad starter?
2. Can I (with limited mechanical skills) replace my starter without too much hassle?
3. Should I check anything else before replacing my starter?
[/cliffnotes]

\\ Forgiven //

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Its most likely the starter. You should be able to replace it with very basic knowledge...I font know where it is on a B16 but on my D series its pretty low but easy to get to once you remove the intake. Remember to disconnect the battery and unplug all of the cables/wires from your starter before you unbolt it.

b16CIVICSI

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Dude my car did the same thing its not your starter because the benedicts drive which is on the starter which is what is trying to turn the fly wheel isnt gettin enough power from the battery to turn the fly I know this because it happened to my EM1 last month and all I had to do is get a new battery..i was even push starting it the whole day until i went home and got some money and now istarting is a breeze.......gl

b16CIVICSI

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh and another thing you should do is put a load teston your car as well thats what i did and how i determined i had a bad battery

jason_guy_yeah

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
here's a quick check, have some one jump your car real quick. It could either be a bad solenoid on the starter, bad neg/pos cable, or bad battery.

93turbo16

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You could also try to beat on your starter with a metal pole or rock the car back and forth while it is in gear...

\\ Forgiven //

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
b16CIVICSI said:
Dude my car did the same thing its not your starter because the benedicts drive which is on the starter which is what is trying to turn the fly wheel isnt gettin enough power from the battery to turn the fly I know this because it happened to my EM1 last month and all I had to do is get a new battery..i was even push starting it the whole day until i went home and got some money and now istarting is a breeze.......gl
you cant completely rule out the starter. Sure it could be a bad battery, but mine just did the same thing and the battery is brand spankin new.

avenger

loves the clutch
5+ Year Member
b16CIVICSI said:
oh and another thing you should do is put a load teston your car as well thats what i did and how i determined i had a bad battery
:werd:

you can just turn the headlights on for 3 mins, then turn them off and measure the battery voltage to get an idea

avenger

loves the clutch
5+ Year Member
jason_guy_yeah said:
here's a quick check, have some one jump your car real quick. It could either be a bad solenoid on the starter, bad neg/pos cable, or bad battery.
also a great idea... wire the jumper cables to the pos terminal and the block, bypassing the bad negative cable

avenger

loves the clutch
5+ Year Member
b16CIVICSI said:
bendix

avenger

loves the clutch
5+ Year Member
autozone will test your starter... have them look at it.

A starter is pretty easy to change out if you have access to a good manual

edit: IB someone complains about me posting 4 times... get over it, im responding to different things

norybg3

5+ Year Member
SexualChocolate said:
[CLIFFS AT BOTTOM]

I think I'm about to replace the starter on my 99 Si. I tested my battery and im getting ~12.5 V, but my car wont start. I turn the key to start and hear nothing except a very, very low hum, sometimes. I am able to push start it, so I assume the starter went bad?

I'm not that great with mechanical stuff (I can change my oil, and do some of the basic things). With that being said, is replacing the starter something I could DIY? I looked in the engine bay and the starter (the cylindrical thing?) looked like it was pretty far down there and hard to reach.

Also, is there anything easier/cheaper that I could check first before replacing the starter? My negative battery terminal is corroded and I eventually need to replace it, but I can run all my electric stuff. Does it take a lot more power to start a car than it does to run amps/headlights? If so, perhaps theres too much resistance on that wire?

[cliffnotes]
1. battery is running 12.5v + can push start car = bad starter?
2. Can I (with limited mechanical skills) replace my starter without too much hassle?
3. Should I check anything else before replacing my starter?
[/cliffnotes]
lol, just yesterday my car also seized to start. I drive a 95 civic dx, and every thing seemed to be ok with it before but now it just wont start. Everything electical works its just my stereo that turns off when I try to start the car.I took the starter to autozone and they told me it didnt work, so I bought a new one, put it in, and nothing happened. Now im gonna take the battery to autozone so they can check it. PLZ message me if you find the problem to your car thx

2lowshitur2slow

5+ Year Member
I have a em2 and my car wouldnt start,so i am thinkin dead battery.So i cleaned up my pos-neg cables on boths ides with some 1.99 baking soda and bam started right up!So if u are saying ur battery has juice and wont start and u said u have a corroded cable.Come on now the first thing u should do i clean that motherfucker come on!!!!!!!!!!

norybg3

5+ Year Member
ok, well I found out whats wrong with my car. After putting a new starter, checking the battery and making sure there was current passing to the starter, I finally checked the little button thing that is pressed when you push in your clutch pedal and thats what was wrong all this time LMAO. The thing was that my clutch pedal was not pushing the button all the way, therefor it was like trying to start the car without pushing in the pedal. soo I adjusted the clutch pedal and my car is starting fine now. YAY!!!!!

whtcivic93

www.mm-graphics.net
norybg3 said:
ok, well I found out whats wrong with my car. After putting a new starter, checking the battery and making sure there was current passing to the starter, I finally checked the little button thing that is pressed when you push in your clutch pedal and thats what was wrong all this time LMAO. The thing was that my clutch pedal was not pushing the button all the way, therefor it was like trying to start the car without pushing in the pedal. soo I adjusted the clutch pedal and my car is starting fine now. YAY!!!!!
nuetral safety switch.....:lol: good s**t you got it going though