EM2 Looking to go Lower

RoseyEM2

Respected
I want to get some truhart shocks so i can keep my lowering springs. But I want to go lower. They lower the car about 2in all around. The front tucks a bit but the rear is kinda raised. Will be it okay for me.to cut the springs another half inch? Will it be okay for the shocks?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nope. Don't cut the springs. It's stupid and dangerous. Springs are tapered off on the top and bottom so that they sit flat. By cutting the springs, you're cutting off at least one tapered section, leaving it non-flat. Hit a large pot hole and boom your spring compresses to the side and now your s**t is damaged or ruined.

You'll hear stories of people who cut their springs and never had problems. But you'll also hear stories about people who used Chinese turbo's and never had problems. Trust me when I say this: do not cut your springs.

RoseyEM2

Respected
Nope. Don't cut the springs. It's stupid and dangerous. Springs are tapered off on the top and bottom so that they sit flat. By cutting the springs, you're cutting off at least one tapered section, leaving it non-flat. Hit a large pot hole and boom your spring compresses to the side and now your s**t is damaged or ruined.

You'll hear stories of people who cut their springs and never had problems. But you'll also hear stories about people who used Chinese turbo's and never had problems. Trust me when I say this: do not cut your springs.
Okay I guess cutting the springs are out then but I had my stock shocks on the car with my lowering springs, will the car sitting lower now that it will have aftermarket shocks? Btw I'm running truhart shocks with truhart lowering springs

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I don't think it would, I think it depends on the springs themselves. I've never owned aftermarket shocks though, I've always gone with full coilovers. Maybe someone else who has aftermarket shocks can chime in.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Research answers every single question you've posed.

1. Do NOT cut springs as it creates weak stress points and will ride like crap. Just because someone who cut their spring set-up says its "fine" doesnt mean they even know what proper suspension feel is.

2 As you should have done before you bought them, look up the TruHart spring and strut weight ratings and lowering specs. Compare that with the stock weight rating and you'll get an idea of how it'll feel and support your vehicle weight when in motion. How people choose a suspension set-ups with no spec research is still surprising to me.

3. Give the new set-up several weeks to settle into their drop height. If you still want it lower then look into raising the top of the strut mounts. I don't recall the proper term.

4. Stock height struts should not be used wuth lowering springs because theyre not designed for it so it accelerates their break down. Therefore that set-up might've been lower for a bad reason.