Engine Burning/Using oil

willowcairns

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
My engine has been burning oil for awhile now and there is no smell or any smoke coming out of the exhaust and no signs of oil on the ground, there is just some black residue around the headers and on the engine. I have to add a quart of oil every 900 to 1000 miles. From what i read on other forums that people have the same problem and that it could be possible that the valve seals are bad, i think that might be my problem or the piston rings might be bad. My car has 86k miles on it. I was wondering how much it might cost to replace the seals or can i just buy some and replace them myself. Any Ideas???

mixwell

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i had that problem with royal purple. but it does sound like bad seals (on the pistons).

changing the valve seals and valve cover gasket will stop leaks on the outside. you may want to change a few of the other seals such as vtec solenoid if you have one, and the dizzy seal.

i can't give too much advice on the piston seals though.

nicoyita1

I eat rice. And beans.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
to start, unless you have 2 cylinder heads, you have a HEADER, not headers.

It could be something as simple as the PCV valve or something as bad as needing new piston rings....If your car (and motor) only has 86k miles, you shouldn't need new piston rings. However, valve seals are a possibility. And trust me, you'd be MUCH better off doing the work yourself, however don't start something you have no idea about.

Zzyzxek

5+ Year Member
you might as well swap in a different engine rather than rebuild the d16. JDM d15s are cheap and good enough, or b20/18 leaves the door open to head swap for vtec later on.

RonJ

Banned
I am not convinced that a Civic engine with 86K miles is burning that much oil. Clean the exterior of the engine to help you pinpoint any oil leaks. The black residue around the header hints that you may have a leak from the valve cover.

EM1_Chris

5+ Year Member
My 2000 Civic SI goes through 1 qt of oil each week if it makes you feel any better. I put about 300-400 miles in that time period.

I also just got my head rebuilt with everything new (all new seals, valve guides and machine work to seat the valves) during last spring thinking that was the problem of my car burning oil. Unfortunately, it is now evident that my rings are bad, well it only appears in one cylinder because one spark plug shows oil fouling and the other 3 are fine which is weird.

But compression for me is normal and even across all 4 which is good. Even though a simple compression test cannot show the condition of the oil control rings, you might need to do leak down test which is more accurate in pin pointing the problem.

RonJ

Banned
...well it only appears in one cylinder because one spark plug shows oil fouling and the other 3 are fine which is weird.
OP: Do what Chris mentions here. Inspect all of your spark plugs for the signs of oil burning in the cylinders.

willowcairns

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my spark plus are clean, the front left has the most residue on the engine. my guess that it is the seals. Where could i get some and how much would they cost?

tylorm1996

Banned
My DX before the engine blew on it, It would only burn oil if I beat the f**k out of it but it wouldnt if i drove it nice. So if you beat on it stop for a while and see the difference.